Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

How much activated charcoal do you give an 11 pound Shih Tzu.

How much activated charcoal do you give an 11 pound Shih Tzu. It is in granulated form.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear that Peaches is having some trouble. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

What are you using the activated charcoal for?

How long has her vomiting been going on?

Does it happen more at a certain time of day?

What is her diet and how many times per day does she eat?

How are her stools?

Any chance she has gotten into anything she should not have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My understanding was it would engage anything of a negative nature and expell it.

about 4 weeks now.

It usually is in the morning hours.

her diet is Lamb & whole brown rice formula (Natural Choice)

feed her twice a day 3/4 a cup each feeding

her stools appear normal

I don't know for sure

Thank you for the additional information.

Activated charcoal is something that we normally use for such things as ingesting a toxin, medications etc, it is not normally used for cases such as this.

This is actually a very common problem in small dogs

If this is only happening in the morning and she feels better as the day goes on this may be a condition called Bilious vomiting syndrome. This is common in small dogs and can happen off and on. The most common cause of this is inflammation of the stomach lining due to acid build up when the stomach goes empty for to long. Click here for more on this

To prevent this in our clinic we recommend feeding these dogs 3-4 small meals a day or give a small snack before bed. Pepcid AC 1/4 of a 10mg tablet may also help. This can be given every 12 hours.

I would try giving a 3rd meal or snack before bed or the Pepcid AC ( on an empty stomach) and see if this helps. If the problem continues I would suggest having her seen by the vet.

I hope this helps . Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Candy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Candy, is Pepcid AC an over the counter substance... Is it a human med? Sorry for the perhaps silly question....You have been most helpful...thank you

Yes it is an over the counter antacid and not a silly question at all. Pepcid is Famotadine and it is fine to get the generic form if you find that less expensive.