Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

My papillion has a red swollen anus. The redness and swelling

Customer Question

My papillion has a red swollen anus. The redness and swelling are all the way around. I squeeze her glands every time I bathe her. I just squeezed them to see if they were hard or soft. They were soft. The excretions were like motor oil and runny. Nothing different. She is dragging and licking. I know something is wrong. I just don't know what! Any suggestions?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would love to assist you with Lady.

When you do Lady's gland's do you squeeze them from both the inside and outside?

Is she straining to pass stool?

Is there more selling in the 4 and 8 o'clock areas that the other areas?

Joan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
She asked me questions I already answered. She gave me no answer
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 9 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

If this swelling and discomfort is not due to Lady's glands, then this could be due to a tumor, infection or an injury that you were not aware of. Also, the anal glands can become infected which may cause the entire area of the anus to be red and irritated causing Lady this discomfort.

For now, apply a cortisone creme to this area every 4-6 hrs. This will reduce inflammation and help ease her discomfort. If Lady is eating well , give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to reduce inflammation and ease her pain.

If this continues after this treatment, have your vet examine her....she may require antibiotics or further diagnostics to determine the cause for Lady's distress.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I will send you a follow up in a few days to see how Lady is doing and if I can answer any other questions.

Good morning. This is Dr. Loretta checking in on Lady. Is she feeling any better?

Thanks!