Anna
Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist
Experience:  35 years training & showing dogs. Written articles for Dog Fancy, Dogs, Dog World.
6012901

My puppy is 5 mos old, mini dachshund 6.9 lbs. She is not interested

Customer Question

My puppy is 5 mos old, mini dachshund 6.9 lbs. She is not interested in any dry puppy foods I have tried. She is gaining weight but still appears very thin to me and makes a gagging noise once in a while. No vomiting, no diarrhea, has solid stools 2 x day. Right now eat 1/4 cup food or less 2 x day. I do not feed table food but last night gave her small piece cooked chicken and small piece toast to make sure she could swallow ok....and she did. Do I need to be concerned. She weighed 2.9 lbs at 8wk and now 6.9 lbs. Is this normal. Ive never had a dog so disinterested in dog food before.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Anna replied 10 months ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a biologist with a special interest in canine health, and many years experience with dogs. Some additional information will be helpful because we need to determine if Izzy is actually underweight.

How covered are her ribs - can be felt easily, but not seen, can be barely seen, can be easily seen, or protruding very much?

Is her backbone protruding?

Thank you.

Anna
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The ribs can be seen then narrows to midsection then out again to hind quarters. Her backbone is not protruding. Today I just broke down and got some iams soft canned food and added teasp to her dry food and she ate it all. I know controversy about dry vs wet food. I have started using soft finger tooth brush to brush teeth this month. I was told to brush 3 times wk.

Expert:  Anna replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. I suspect your puppy is not too thin. A dog should have a "waist" when you look down from above. If there isn't, she is overweight. Feel her sides. You should be easily able to feel the ribs. If all the ribs are very visible, or the backbone protrudes, the dog is underweight. These two methods are better than using weight alone to determine if a dog is at a good weight. Dachshunds are very prone to becoming overweight and that leads to serious back problems. they are better off being a tiny bit underweight.

The amounts of food recommended on dog food bags are meant to sell more food, not keep dogs healthy. very few dogs need as much as what the bags say. Feeding a dog properly has to be very individualized because every dog is different. One 38 lb. dog might need 2 cups of food to maintain that weight, while a second dog of the same weight could gain weight on that much food, and need only a half cup. It will also vary with different brands. A dog may need 2 cups of Royal Canin to maintain its weight, but if changed to a different brand, it may need 1 cup, or 3 cups. The best way to keep your dog at the desired weight is to weigh her at least every other week, check her body shape regularly, and adjust her food as needed.

I'm not sure which controversy you're referring to about dry vs. canned. If it's about dry keeping the teeth cleaned, that has been disproven. I have had various dogs on an identical canned diet. One needs the teeth cleaned twice a year, even with brushing and chew toys. Another one, at age 13, has sparkling white teeth with nothing done at all. Heredity has a lot to do with plaque accumulation. Of course, brushing is a good idea no matter what. If canned food helps your dog eat enough to maintain good weight, there is certainly no reason not to use it. On the following reputable site, you can find more complete information on choosing a dog food and all aspects of feeding a dog.

http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html

If you have additional questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your puppy will thrive, however you choose to feed her.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist
Experience: 35 years training & showing dogs. Written articles for Dog Fancy, Dogs, Dog World.
Expert:  Anna replied 10 months ago.
Hi Tracey,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Izzy. How is everything going?

Anna
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Izzy is doing great with small amount of canned dog food mixed in with her dry food. She is eating well and likes it!! I appreciated your reply and showed it to my son who also has a mini dachshund who is slightly above his ideal weight. Thank you for the web site link. I also completed the rating "excellent service" .

Sincerely,

Tracey

Expert:  Anna replied 9 months ago.
Hi Tracey,

I'm glad to hear things are going well. I hope Izzy and your brother's dog will both reach their ideal weights. Thank you for the update and the rating.

Anna