Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

URGENT WHAT TESTS ARE NEEDED TO DETERMINE. KIDNEY FAILURE OR

URGENT WHAT TESTS ARE NEEDED TO DETERMINE. KIDNEY FAILURE OR POISIONING FROM CHINA CHICKEN JERKY. JD
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for her.

Well, you wouldn't be able to say it is specifically due to the jerky.
But, at 3 years of age, and if she has ingested it and gotten sick, a basic blood profile AND urine test would be what is needed.

A blood profile would show values like the BUN (urea build up in the body), creatinine (function of the kidneys), and the urine test shows changes in the urine specific gravity (concentration).

So, a blood profile and urine test would answer a lot of questions and also provide information about liver enzymes, infections, protein levels.

What can tests tell you:
Chemistry Panel
CBC (complete blood count)
Urinalysis

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What is a reasonable charge for these tests or range of charges??
Hi JD,
Many vets offer a wellness package or a combination test for doing blood blood and urine together.
Huge variation from one vet to the next and from one state to the next.
Also, depends on how extensive the blood test needs to be. Senior pets get a more comprehensive panel.

So, I would day anywhere from $150 to $270 for blood profile and urine test.
Possibly on lower side since he's only 3 years old and doesn't need a thyroid level included on his panel.

Of course, a bit on higher range if being performed at an emergency facility.

Hope that extra info helps.