Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog has just developed bumps between is ears, we have been

My dog has just developed bumps between is ears, we have been battling fleas and we have frequently given him alot of baths
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It sounds like this is an allergic reaction- these are often due to insect bites/ stings, food allergies or environmental allergies. We'll often see facial swelling and hives. We can also see vomiting/ diarrhea. The hives here are likely to the flea saliva.

What you can do to manage this as home is give Benadryl at 1-2 mg per lb every 6-8 hours. It usually takes 12-24 hours for signs to fully resolve.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I put pet armour on him two weeks ago lowest dose 1-22 lbs. Every day we are still finding fleas on him, we have given him quite a few baths to kill the fleas. I bought front line plus last night to put on him, didn't use it yet because i was afraid to do to only using other two weeks ago. This afternoon my son brought me my dog and he had the bumps.

You can use Frontline now as well. Sometimes with bad flea infestations I'll have owners use Frontline every 2 weeks for 3-4 doses. It takes a while to get rid of a bad flea infestation. It's not an overnight fix. Most cases take 1-3 months before the fleas are gone.

The Benadryl will help with the scratching and hives in the mean time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is skin is very dry from bathing him what should I use on his skin for that, and should i give him anymore baths after I put the flea meds on him.

I would give him a good 2-4 weeks before bathing again. That will help with the dry skin. When you do bathe him, you can use a hydrating shampoo or oatmeal shampoo.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One last question, I have Benadryl 25 mg liqui-gels, he weighs 10 lbs. Would this be ok

I would actually go with 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet if you can. Otherwise, you can get children's Benadryl and give 1 teaspoon (12.5 mg). The dose range I use in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight every 6-8 hours. That would be 10-20 mg every 6-8 hours in your dog.