Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

Hi. I have a 9 year old collie/beagle mix. He has a Hx of Leptospirosis

Hi. I have a 9 year old collie/beagle mix. He has a Hx of Leptospirosis 4 years ago, which he was found to have 4 different strains of. He was treated successfully and has had no problems since, until just recently, he has thrown up once a day for a week, a frothy bile substance. He still has a good appetite, no diarrhea, is a little less active, but not what I would consider marked lethargy. No change in food, he only goes into a fenced backyard, and is not around standing water, nor has he ever been a hunting dog. My vets were totally surprised when he came up positive 4 years ago. He just went in for labs and an abdominal US. My vets are not concernned at all with his results, but it shows elevated eosinophils (14.2%,although his AEC is 1093, so mormal range), increased RBC, HgB,and HCT. All other WBC indicies and chem profile is normal. He is on parastic/flea/tick prevention, and is never boarded. He is afebrile, and US shows only mild liver enlargement and mild splenomagly, otherwise unremarkable. I am concerned as to why his total Eosinophil is elevated, and he has also lost 4 pounds in 6 months. The vets want to put him on Pepcid 20mg a day, and monitor his weight. Should I be worried? Something just doesn't seem right. Should I be asking for urinalysis and fecal testing?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 3 years ago.
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about your guy. I definitely understand your concern and I agree with you a 100%. I would be concerned with his history and his current clinical signs. the weight loss is a good indicator that something else might be going on that they haven't found yet. Eosinophils can be elevated by intestinal parasites or other parasites in the body that we may not be aware are there but can be causing these low grade problems. So the easy thing to do is to treat him with Panacur which is a broad spectrum dewormer that gets intestinal parasites, even parasites in the liver or kidneys, lungs, bladder, etc so very broad spectrum. Also I would send out his stool for a fecal test to determine if there is a parasite and identify it and also looking at his urine is a good idea to make sure proteins are normal and no other changes. But I would not just ignore the weight loss he is having at this time without investigating it a little further. keep him on the pepcid and do the tests and also ask your vet about the Panacur. Very safe medication with really no side effects and can only really help. I hope that makes sense and I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much. Call it a "mother's intuition" (he IS my baby), but I'm just not satisfied with the current plan. I also pushed for the vet to test for Lepto when he presented with a nasty case of uveitis, even though they were reluctant to think it was Lepto. Well, I was correct, and had I not pushed for it, he most likely would have died. I'm also an ER RN - maybe that's where I get my pushiness :). Thank you for validating my concerns.
You are welcome and I completely understand. I have learned to go with my gut a lot of the time and it has helped me diagnose and find a lot of illnesses in dogs and cats that otherwise would be missed.