Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

How and what can I feed my 14 year Bichon Frise. Vet said from

How and what can I feed my 14 year Bichon Frise. Vet said from the blood work it looks like her kidneys are failing. In a matter of 10 she has lost 6 lbs! Why didn't the Vet see the kidney problem before now? Isn't this a slow progression illness?
Mimi, is a fighter. She also has enlarged heart, and fluid in her lungs. She's come close a few times but came thru and is such a delightful pet. When I first adopted her Vet told me she probably would live 3 - 4 months. 2 years later she's still with us and fighting. But she's not the same now. I can see she feels terrible. She's refusing to eat. I don't know what to do. She's taking VetMedin, Furosemide everyday. And now with the kidney problem she was given antibiotic an antibiotic shot suppose to last 2 weeks. Also, Vet gave Baytril 22.7 mg(2xs daily) and she hates this one it makes her sick; also she is taking Cerenia 16 mg(4 pills) to be taken once every 24 hrs for 4 days.
I feel helpless! Don't know what to do! She won't eat! I have cooked rice with chicken breast; sweet potato with white potato in low sodium chicken broth(she ate some of this, Id put it on my fingers and she would lick the food then she would eat of the bowell, but not much. Well, I've tried salmon, lamb and veggies, lamb n rice but nothing!! Please help! Is she not eating because of pain/acid in her tummy? Or because doesn't smell/taste good due to her condition?
Pls help. Thank you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

I want to let you know that in these cases, I always imagine my customer's dog as my own, which isn't that hard considering I live with 3 geriatric dogs. I want to be completely frank and honest with you about Missita's problems as that's what I'd want for my own pets.

To be totally honest, at this point with Missita, there's really no chance that we're going to cure her medical issues. The kidney disease and cardiac issues do progress more slowly in a younger dog, but your girl is very, very old, which means her energy and body gets depleated much more rapidly than a younger counterpart.

Essentially we're doing hospice care for her.

Hospice measures means we're going to keep her as comfortable as possible until she's ready to let go. When it comes to eating...you can truly offer her absolutely anything you'd like. I've had good luck with meat flavored baby foods, but things like Mcdonald's hamburgers (without onions) are acceptable as well. I've also had luck with wet cat food because cat food is higher in fat, which makes it taste better to dogs.

My best guess is that she's stopped eating because she's uncomfortable. When measuring a dog's quality of life, we tend to focus on "the big 4": eating, drinking, urinating, defecating...if a dog has stopped doing any one of those things, then it's time to consider ending their suffering.

I think the biggest thing you can factor in is quality of life. If your pup is in pain that you cannot control or alleviate, if your pup no longer does any of the things she likes to do, then that is the point in time where you must consider that not forcing the animal to linger on is a kinder choice.

I think that it comes down to is trying to put the dog's comfort above your own pain of loss. 12 is a very good age for a dog to reach so you have done very well by her getting her there, especially considering the vet initially only gave her a few short months.

At some point you may find the website http://www.petloss.com/ and the rainbow bridge story some comfort. Hardest thing in the world about pets is that no matter how long they live its really never long enough, but making this decision for your beloved pet is the ultimate act of kindness...to end their suffering in spite of the pain and hurt it will cause you to lose her.

Missita is very lucky to have such a dedicated owner.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for the kind words. How can I let her go? She's still gets up from her resting pad and waits for me by the door! When I get up in the morning her big black eyes follows me wherever I go. Then when she can't see me she gets up from her bed and goes to find me!?! I know she is not feeling well but she still wants to go outside. She still comes close to me to pick her up! Just wanted to hear a second opinion about what's going on with her condition and the medications she's taking. Also I wanted to know is she's feeling pain. Why can't someone tell me that. I know she is tired and feeling well. But, does the condition with the kidneys causes her pain? If so, how do I know when she is feeling pain?
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.
There are different schools of thought about whether kidney issues are painful...but the fact she won't eat and was doing some panting tells me that she probably is in some pain since they're classic signs of pain in a dog.

I know that it's hard to know if it's time to let them go...but I firmly believe that you'll know when it's the right time. There's just a feeling you get when you look at an older dog who is ready to cross the Rainbow Bridge...they get a look in their eyes. You'll know it when you see it.

Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.
Hi Heleny,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Missita. How is everything going?

Lisa