Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

I have a shiszu which seems to have a few hot spots we think

I have a shiszu which seems to have a few hot spots we think might be from fleas.
What would be best way to treat?

Hello and welcome.

This is not an information request but just a short message to introduce myself.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me ten minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Scott

Hello again Timothy and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear about Kiki's problem. However I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. While " Hot spot " as you will know is not a serious condition it is quite uncomfortable for your dog and it can be tricky to resolve so it may be best to consult with a vet as prescription drugs are often be the best way to resolve things more quickly.

2. Having said that I have known clients independently treat hot spots on an over the counter basis and report success using the likes of 0.5% or 1% Hydrocortisone cream applied twice a day for a week. It is important to cut the hair from round the affected area and washing the area with luke warm salt water and then drying it gently before applying the cream will also help.

3. Of course if these skin lesions do not quickly resolve you should have your vet check Kiki over as there are other skin diseases can mimic the appearance of " Hot Spot "

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Hello again Timothy,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Kiki is getting on with the hot spot.

How are things going at present?