Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My dog yelped for no apparent reason last night when we were

My dog yelped for no apparent reason last night when we were outside. He then whimpered for a minute or so and quit. I checked his paws although he wasn't limping and they seemed okay. After this, he proceeded to run too. I have since noticed that one eye is now slightly shut and is watery. He is acting normal otherwise? Any thoughts?

By the way, he is a recent rescue from a local shelter so I don't know his history. He is a 4 year old Corgi/Cattle Dog cross.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Ernie is having some trouble.

It is possible that the sudden yelping was due to what you are seeing now with the eye. If he was running through grass, wooded areas etc then he could have gotten scratched/poked in the eye by something,. A bug bite sting etc is also possible.

I would suggest rinsing the eye with sterile saline such as that used to clean contact lenses. For swelling you can try over the counter Benadryl at a dose of 1-2 mgs per pound of body weight every 8-12 hours.

If the eye stays swollen, be begins rubbing it, will not open it or seems painful in any way I would suggest getting that eye looked at by your vet. Simple little things such as a scratch to the eye can turn serious pretty easily placing both the eye sight and in some cases even the eye itself at risk of permanent damage.

I hope this helps and he feels better soon. Thank you so much for rescuing a shelter dog. Please reply back if you ave additional questions or concerns and I Will be happy to continue.