Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

For Jane Lefler: Hi there! I am having a problem with

For Jane Lefler:

Hi there! I am having a problem with my dog who always broke in to neighbors backyard by wrecking out the fence. He did many times and i'm kinna embarass already. What is the best thing to do so he stop doing this. My friend told me to put a collar on him used for barking. Is that a good idea? Thanks
Hi gio,

A bark collar is not going to stop him from breaking out of your yard. I have several solutions depending on how he is escaping. Many times if you correct one avenue, they find another so let me go over them all.

I have found a good method of keeping a dog from digging under a fence. You purchase chicken wire and attach one edge to the fence at the bottom with staples if wood and ties if chainlink. You then bend it so the chicken wire lies on the ground around the perimeter. You can bury it with a thin layer of dirt or let the grass grow through it. Either way, a dog does not like the feel of the chicken wire on his nails and is unable to dig out.

A more practical and nicer looking solution in my opinion is installing an electric wire around the perimeter of the property similar to what they use for horses and cows but a much smaller voltage. This physically keeps the dog away from the fence so they can not dig under or even get close to the fence to climb over or destroy it.

They make plastic holders for the wire that attach to chain link. You can run one close to the top of the fence if a dog is jumping over and / or one about 6 inches or so from the bottom. You can also string 2 or 3 wires along a fence. One controller should power both wires. They do shock, but I can assure you that it is not a bad shock as I personally touched it and got shocked before I would allow it to be used for my rotties. It only took my dogs getting shocked once each to learn to stay away from the wire. My dogs would pull the chain link off the bottom rail of their kennel and fencing too. I used this and it solved the problem.. The following site has the main unit though the next site sells complete kits. Lowes and tractor supply stores sell these as should any feed type store.

Of course you could also use shock collars and underground fence as well . For one dog, the cost would be about the same or even cheaper if you bought a used system. However, the batteries in the collar can be depleated and need to be replaced. With a hot wire style fence, as long as it has electricity, it is working. I use the hot wire type for my rotties. It works well. I think it will be a good choice, but the ultimate decision is yours.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

BTW, how does the collar works? does it give the dog a shock evry time he tried to break out?

Gio,.Sorry for the delay, I stepped out for a little while. The underground fence system works by you having a wire around the perimeter of the property. I've seen people install it on the fence itself. When the dog gets too close to the fence ( I think it is 3-5 feet), it emits a warning tone and if they do not exit the field, they get a shock. It doesn't take them long to realize that when they hear the tone, they need to back up. Many owners then just switch to a tone only. However, for strong willed breeds like yours, I recommend leaving it on. I would also leave a hot wire on if you use that. With the hot wire, the dogs can smell if it is on or not.