Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal General Practitioner and practice owner with 8+ years experience
21393945

My Coton de Tulear dog recently had surgery to remove magnesium

Customer Question

My Coton de Tulear dog recently had surgery to remove magnesium bladder stones. One week before the surgery she began eating a new dog food of Urinary SO. Ten days after the surgery she had her last dose of meds (antibiotic, rimadyl and pain med) as well as having her sutures removed. Two days afterwards she urinated in bed while sleeping and two days after that she urinated on a living room ottoman. This new Urinary SO diet is also causing her to have to urinate more frequently.

She's 10 years old and has never had urinary accidents in the house even when she had bladder stones.

What is happening with her? Is she still in the healing process from the surgery? Is the new diet that she's on causing incontinence?
Thank you
Connie

PS I also want to note that my dog has been on the same dog food for 10 years. The only alteration to this diet has been the addition of Cosequin about 1 1/2 years ago which has a lot of magnesium. Could Cosequin have caused her to have these bladder stones?

Is t
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doctor Jeff replied 12 months ago.
Hi, I am Dr. Jeff. I will try to help you. Please feel free to follow up if any more information is needed. At this point, this could still be a result of the surgery as there can still be some irritation in the bladder, urethra and vagina which could increase her urgency to go. Depending on the amount of stones and where they were, this surgery can have some traumatic effects on the surronding tissue. It just needs time to heal. It is unlikely but possible, that surgery could affect her urethral sphincter strength. If you find that this trend is continuing for a month after surgery, then it may be worth discussing some of the medications that can help strength these sphincter muscles (ie Proin, incurin, etc). So, I would certainly continue the Clavamox as directed by your vet and see what the trend is over the next few weeks.
It VERY unlikely the diet has anything to do with the incontinence. Frankly, the diet will lessen the likelihood that future surgeries will be necessary.
There is no home remedy I can offer at this point.
I hope this helps and gives you direction.
Thanks
Dr. Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal General Practitioner and practice owner with 8+ years experience
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for your prompt answer. Anabelle had her surgery on Monday, October 7th and the incontinence problem just began on Sunday,, October 20th. As well as contiuing with the Clamax should I also continue with the Rimadyl since this anti inlamatory could help with possible irritations with inflamations?

Thank you !

Connie

You can also continue the Rimadyl as directed. One other possibility to consider is the possibility that it is coincidental. It is not uncommon for aging spayed females to develop incontinence. While I consider this scenario unlikely, it is possible. Just and extra thought.
Jeff
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Anabelle was on the same dog food for 10 years. The only change to her diet was the addition of Cosequin, which has a lot of magnesium, almost two years ago. I strongly suspect Cosequin to be the cause of her struvite bladder stones. What is your opinion??

Thanks ~

I would highly doubt that the Cosequin impacted the production of stones. If anything, it may have slowed things down. Cosequin has been found to aid in the health of the bladder lining. As a result, we will use it in cats with chronic bladder issues such as sterile cystitis.
In most cases, an individuals genetics and metabolism are the biggest risk factor for stones. We use diet to manage them once the type of stone is determined as different bladder environments can produce different forms of crystals and stones.
Jeff
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Just one more question ~ Anabelle is now on Urinary SO dog food and the list of ingredients doesn't look that pretty low grade. I know it's high in sodium for more water intake/urination but is there another dog food that would contain better nutritional value.

She was on Merrick's for 10 years and although I know she can no longer have this dog food I'm looking for something with the same nutritional value as well as the sodium needed for future prevention of stones.

Would you have a recommendation?

Thanks ~

Connie

These diets generally provide complete nutrition. These companies put a lot of money into research and development to ensure this as they are competing against other companies providing similar diets. If I see an issue, the diets that are used for oxalate stones tend to have a higher fat content to I see some weight gain. Quite frankly, if I see a nutritional issue at all, it is TOO MUCH nutrition as most owners over feed for the amount of exercise their dogs receive. As for dietary recommenations, the SO is fine, but other companies such as Hills and Purina, have prescription diets that aid in managing struvite crystal formation. Keep in mind, diet is often not enough and urine acidifiers are necessary. In the end, the goal is to reduce the precursor elements and provide a bladder environment that lessens or prevents their formation without creating an environment that could make a different type of stone. I hope this helps.
Jeff