Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Hi Lisa, we picked up maltese x poodle from an animal shelter

Customer Question

Hi Lisa, we picked up maltese x poodle from an animal shelter 10 days ago. He is between 1 & 2 years of age and he is very loving and always needs to be with one of us.

I am just concerned that anyone else that walks in the door, my brother, my partner... he barks and growls at them the whole time and even gets a bit snappy. How do I deal with this?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.
Good morning...it appears that Lisa is not available at this time. I am happy to answer your question but if you would prefer to wait for Lisa, I will opt out.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes I am happy for you to answer
Good morning, Amy....this is normal behavior when a dog is fearful...the rescue dogs often have these fears of other people or things that they do not know.

It is important for you to "Desensitize" PJ by following these instructions:

1. Purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent.
2. Take PJ to an obedience school to establish yourself as the "Alpha Dog" so he will listen to you.
3. Carry a coke can with pennies in it and when this bad behavior comes out, shake the can loudly and say a strong NO!
4. Introduce PJ to many people so he will understand that these are not going to hurt him.

Your vet will have stronger medications to help PJ past this if this is not enough, Amy. In most cases, this is enough to get PJ past these fears.

Does that make sense to you, Amy?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Thank you so much, Amy for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.