Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

My Cocker Spaniel puppy is 13 weeks old. we have had him for

Customer Question

My Cocker Spaniel puppy is 13 weeks old. we have had him for 11 days. He developed a chesty cough on his first day but that has cleared up with a dose of anti-biotics. He was also slightly under weight but he has put on weight since we got him. He was being kept on a tiled floor.

His front paws were slightly bowed and he has knuckled over just a bit. We are feeding him on a good quality dry puppy food recommended by our vet (Vibrac Baby Dog) and the bowing in his front legs has all but disappeared. He is still slightly knuckled though but it doesn't seem to affect him in any way.

My vet told us it might just be a growing spurt and to keep an eye on it but I am sure there must be something I can be doing in the mean time to help. Physio maybe?

Thanks

Steve.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 9 months ago.

Good Morning Steve and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Your vet is correct that dogs go through growth spurts at the end of the long bones which will cause pain, lameness and odd conformation. Along with this, the ligaments must grow at the same time to compensate for these growth spurts and that does not always happen and this is why your little guy may still appear knuckled over. The only thing you can do, Steve, that will help is to feed a daily supplement of calcium and phosphorus such as Pet tabs that can be purchased at the pet store. The physical therapy that you mentioned is important by walking him often ...this will help the ligaments stretch to accommodate the growing bones and with this walking, your guy will eventually mature to a normal conformation.

There are issues when one bone grows at a different rate than the others causing a compromised growth and defects in conformation...if this worsens, Steve, have your vet examine your guy and x ray to be sure that this will pass.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Thank you so much, Steve for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I am sure with your care and love that your little guy will do well.