Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

Blood in

Blood in semen

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

I need a little more information please.

1. I just want to clarify, is there blood in the semen or in the urine?

2. Are you currently breeding him?

3. Have you noticed any change in his urination or water consumption?

4. Is he eating normally?

5. Any trouble with having a bowel movement?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe it is his semen... he tries to breed with my female& she will tolerate him for a short time w/o penatration and I saw blood on her and his penile area. Not breeding him. Food intake normal. Having normal bm's w/o diff. Water intake slightly decreased resulting in decrease in urination. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Undecided

• I believe it is his semen... he tries to breed with my female& she will tolerate him for a short time w/o penatration and I saw blood on her and his penile area. Not breeding him. Food intake normal. Having normal bm's w/o diff. Water intake slightly decreased resulting in decrease in urination. Hope this helps.

Thank you,

First I would check his penis for injury. If he will let you, you can push the prepuce skin back and check his penis for bleeding or scratches. They should heal on their own, over time, as long as you keep him away from your female so he does not mount her and cause his penis to start bleeding again. If the penis, or prepuce, becomes infected, yellow drainage will come out the tip of the prepuce. Antibiotics will resolve that.

Another common cause of blood in the semen is prostate enlargement or prostate infection. The vet can usually diagnose a prostate issue by rectal palpation. If he has an infection, he could take antibiotics. If the prostate is enlarged, then he could be neutered and that should shrink the prostate in 3-4 weeks.

He could also have a urinary tract infection or bladder stones. Those would not cause blood in the urethra. As the semen passes through the blood would get mixed in. It would be a good idea to have his urine tested to make sure he does not have a urinary tract infection. If he does, he can take antibiotics for that as well.

I hope this helps.

If you have additional questions, please reply.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He doesn't seem have an injury on his penis but his testes are very small and easily separated Is this a sign of dehydration.

No, as far as I know, that is not a sign of dehydration.

A easier way to check for dehydration is to look at his gums.

His gums should be moist and pink.

If they are pale, or dry and sticky, then he could be dehydrated.

You can also to the "skin tent" test. Pull the skin up between his shoulder blades. As soon as you let go of the skin it should spring back into place. If it goes down slowly then he may be dehydrated.

Another sign of dehydration is eyeballs that look sunken back into the eye sockets.

Hi Laurie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bamm Bamm. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby