Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I have a four and have year old beagle, in very good shape,

I have a four and have year old beagle, in very good shape, eats quality food.
This summer, probably due to the extremely dry weather in san diego and backyard (no grass, lots of dry brush) she developed a "reverse sneeze." After a month of that I took her to the vet, he said it wasnt a major issue and told me to give her Zerteck, a over the counter allergy medication for humans. I gave that to her for three weeks, it helped but not cleared the issue. Three months later, I still have the problem although it is less frequent, maybe once or twice a day. Is there anything I can do on my own to help the problem?

Sally G. :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

Sally G. :

An episode of reverse sneezing can be stopped sooner by rubbing under the neck, but there is nothing that will totally stop a dog from reverse sneezing

Sally G. :

It is a belief that allergies may cause this but not definite

Sally G. :

was the dog showing other signs of allergies?

Sally G. :

Here is a link to this which will give you information. over the counter benadryl can be used for allergies but it may not stop the reverse sneeze and you will be drugging your dog for basically no reason if no other signs of allergies exist

Sally G. :

It seems you may have stepped away from your computer so I will switch over to normal question and answer. We can continue when you are next online if you need more help.