Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

14 week old westie male, treated with metronitazole three times

14 week old westie male, treated with metronitazole three times in the last 6 weeks, the last dose administered 48 hours ago. Loose stools returned this evening and he is behaving as if he is ravenous all the time. Feeding Wellness Core Puppy kibble and he receives less than 50 calories/day in treats (Milk Bone mini's-5cal each or BilJac soft liver training treats). I bleach the universe on a daily basis, both inside and outside. Always clean the stools in the yard and bleach immediately. There is no standing water he is exposed to. I also sanitize my hands regularly and have cleaned all his toys, bedding and bowls daily. How long should I wait before doing yet another fecal sample? Is there another treatment that I can ask for or use homeopathically at home?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Fergus.

Normally, I encourage rechecking a stool sample about 7 days after medication is finished using these guidelines:

Bring in a fresh poop sample to the veterinarian. Ideally, within a few hours. Request that it be sent “OUT” to the laboratory instead of being looked at in the hospital (more accurate that way). We are not interested in only worm eggs, but also checking for the very common microscopic bugs like giardia and coccidia. These types of parasites will not be cured with over-the-counter dewormers. Giardia can also be difficult to identify on routine fecal tests, so ask your vet if they always add a “giardia elisa” to the fecal test. Here is more detailed information about fecal testing:
Fecal Testing

Also, my suggestions:
1. Stop the Wellness Core
2. Stop all treats....EVERYTHING...

Start a regular premium puppy food like Science Diet or Royal Canin. Ignore anything about ingredients, if it has corn, etc...
Just do a regular premium diet.
I have time and time again had many problems with these high protein or ultraholistic diets.
So, you must stop all treats and the Wellness Core, as one very well is the source of your problem.

Also, ask the vet to do a empirical treatment with panacur suspension.

I recommend at least a 5 day course at 50mg/kg once a day. Vet will understand.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate yet if have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Panacur! That's what we tried first, along with the FortiFlora. One week later we were in the ER and they put him on the Metro plus an antibiotic.

I really had been wondering if it could be something in the food, depite the fact that Wellness has a good reputation.

SO my only confusion is should I fast him for a day first then start a different food?

Hi Lauren,
I would not fast at this age. I would maybe do a 50/50 with a new diet. Ideally, maybe just start with a gastrointestinal food like Science Diet I/D from the vet office.

I am very suspicious the food or one of those treats is causing this distress.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?