Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  24 yrs. experience in dog training and behavior, pet first aide and therapy dog evaluation. Member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

I have just brought my dog to the city. I have relocated for

I have just brought my dog to the city. I have relocated for 6 months. She is extremely nervous with all of the noise and activity in the park where I need to take her to relieve herself. The second day she had terrible diarrhea, nearly liquid and on the morning of the third day she defecated just a tiny bit but it was normal. She now has not defecated for 2 days. I managed to get a little pumpkin in her. How long foes that take? She stopped eating this evening, tho she'll take a bit of chicken from my hand.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Sally G. :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

Sally G. :

Did she show any other symptoms such as vomiting prior to the diarrhea?

Customer: No
Customer: Just heavy panting outside and shaking
Sally G. :

Does she eat any non food items such as rawhides, toys, greenies , bully sticks etc?

Customer: Yes bully stick
Sally G. :

Thank you. While this could be a virus that will go away on its own I would worry about the bully stick as they have a tendency to carry salmonella

Sally G. :

this would show stomach upset lack of appetite and fever

Customer: You don't feel that this is from her severe nervousness?
Sally G. :

Dogs that are nervous don't generally have diarrhea, though they may be frightened to take food

Customer: There is no vomiting
Sally G. :

I understand but I don't think it is all due to being nervous.

Customer: Ok. Do I need to take her to the vet?
Sally G. :

Bully sticks can also cause an obstruction of the bowel which would show lack of appetite and diarrhea.

Customer: And the solution?
Sally G. :

what I would do is check her vitals, temp should be 100. 5 to 102.5 taken recatally

Customer: Does the pumpkin help?
Sally G. :

I would look at her gums and make sure they are not pale or white

Customer: Tip of tongue seemed white
Sally G. :

the pumpkin can help the diarrhea but if there is something else going on it will not help that

Sally G. :

Okay then she is sick and you should see a vet

Customer: It's not diarrhea now, it's constipation
Customer: Her tongue is normal now
Sally G. :

Ah, you said the second day was diarrhea

Sally G. :

so the pumpkin has helped with the diarrhea?

Sally G. :

now she is constipated, how much pumpkin did you give her?

Customer: No. She has been constipated for 2 days. I started pumpkin today
Customer: About a tsp and a half
Sally G. :

Okay for constipation it may take a while for the pumpkin to work. What you can also try if the pumpkin does not work is metamucil

Sally G. :

but I would want to be sure there is nothing else going on with her. But that has to be your decision

Sally G. :

I can get you information and dosing on metamucil

Customer: Do I get that at a drug store? She weighs 14 lbs. how much do I give her?
Customer: Can a dog be constipated for 2 days?
Sally G. :

Yes you would get it at a drug store . If she is not been eating then maybe after the diarrhea there is little left, but yes constipation can last a while

Sally G. :

here are directions for use of metamucil http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/psyllium-metamucil-etc/page1.aspx

Sally G. :

Small dogs that do not eat are a worry because they can have a drop in blood sugar so rub a little pancake syrup on the gums to keep the sugar level up

Customer: She just stopped eating tonight, as I said. She ate yesterday and this morning. I wrote all of this down.
Sally G. :

Sorry , sometimes with chat the sentence moves up and out of site

Customer: Oh, ok. Anything other than syrup?
Sally G. :

Press and release a finger on her gums, is should blanch then return to normal color, if it takes under one second or over 2 seconds then it is an emergency

Sally G. :

Karo syrup

Sally G. :

But no if she will take a little food from you now and then such as the chicken she should be okay

Sally G. :

It is when they stop eating for a day or two we worry

Customer: Thank you! I will take her to a vet tomorrow if this continues.
Sally G. :

I think because of her size it is a good idea.

Customer: thanks again.
Customer: Goodnite
Sally G. :

you are welcome. may I send a free follow up with you in a few days to see how she is doing? I can do this after rating

Customer: yes
Sally G. :

Thank you. I will set that up and the company will send it to the email you logged on with

Customer: ok
Sally G. :

Have a good night

Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience: 24 yrs. experience in dog training and behavior, pet first aide and therapy dog evaluation. Member of PAS Animal Response Team.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Debra,
I just got this in from the FDA and wanted to share it with you. While this mentions jerky treats, many of the bully sticks are causing similar problems. This is information you should have.
http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm371413.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took Olive to vet today. She has a 105 degree temp.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Oh my Debra, I am very sorry to hear that. I hope they are able to find the cause and if you can save all the bags from treats she has eaten I would do that and send them in to your vet or contact the FDA yourself to be sure it had nothing to do with the bully sticks.

This is sent as an information request so you are not prompted to rate again. If you need my help in the future you can request me by name and ask that the question be held until I am online.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Debra,
How is Olive doing?

Sally