Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My 12yr old Chihuahua has been acting strange after eating

My 12yr old Chihuahua has been acting strange after eating for about a week now. She seems to have trouble with her neck after eating and lies in strange positions for about an hour after eating. She still eats all her food and comes to the kitchen if she hears me in there! Stools are fine, she walks fine and she seems like herself at all times other than eating.
Any ideas?

Dr. J. :

Hi, this is Dr. J and I would be happy to help you with this but I need a little more information first. Can you tell me exactly what she is doing with her neck. Is she extending it, holding it down or exactly what is she doing with her neck? And is she doing it when she is eating or after. Please just describe exactly what you are seeing.......as soon as you can do that for me I will try to help you trouble shoot this.....I check my computer at least three times daily so will get back to you soon. Sincerely,Dr. J

Customer:

Hi Dr J!

Customer:

My best way to discribe it is that her neck seems to dissapear into her shoulders. Like humans do when they hunch their shoulders-up. She hunches it up after eating and then goes and lies down but seems a bit ackward when doing so. I have felt her neck all over and she doesn't seem to be in much pain, but if I hold a treat up she can't seem to look up at me. After an hour or so she is fine and can look-up with no problem. This occurs after she is finished eating.

Dr. J. :

Hi, my best medical thought on this is one of two possibilities. Either she has a cervical disc problem or should may have a mild case of Alanto-axial subluxation. I cannot think of any other reason why she would do this type of behavior. The odd thing is, these two conditions don't just get better like you are describing. Either way, I really feel due to the possibilities, you should most likely get your vet to take a look at her. At least send you vet a video and let them take a look at it. Other than the two possibilities that I mentioned, I cannot think of anything else.I lean more towards a cervical disc issue to to her age and also due to her breed. IF you can do it, I really feel she needs an examination by your vet.Please feel free to come back and ask some other questions. Your vet will likely want to do a very thorough palpation of her neck and back and possibly take some xrays. I hope this helps you. Please let me know if you need anything else.Sincerely, DrJ.

Dr. J. :

I will check back with you in am. Sincerely, DRJ

Customer:

Thanks for your response! I did take her to the vet last week and he didn't seem to be able to find anything wrong. However I'll see if it continues for another day or so and then take her back to the vet with a video. I appreciate your help and fast response!

Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM

I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. Unfortunately I do not know when this may be, as the professionals come on line as they are available. You don't have to stand by, you will get an email telling you when you have received a response. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Best,

Camille

If you need any further help, please let me know, but a video for your vet would be very helpful in addition to the examination. Good luck with Miss Mexi and please let me know if you need anything further. Sincerely, DRJ
Thank you so much for the wonderful rating. It is very appreciated. Sincerely, Dr.J