Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

How much doxycylene should I give a 20lb dog? I believe he

How much doxycylene should I give a 20lb dog? I believe he has kennel cough. I also have a cat.

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

Doxycycline is typically dosed in the range of 5 to 10 mg per kg of body weight, every 12 to 24 hours.

Dr. Drew :

a 20 pound dog could receive approximately 50-100 mg every 12 to 24 hours, depending on the situation.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I gave Nemo some cephalexin this morning. should I just stick to that then change to the Doxycycline if the cough persists. I have a cat too. Is both meds ok for cat and dogs?

Both can be used in cats and dogs. Kennel Cough often does not require antibiotics, but doxy is preferred when antibiotics are used.