Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

Hello. I seem to be having a problem with my miniature schnauzer.

Hello. I seem to be having a problem with my miniature schnauzer. Sometimes when he goes outside to do his business, I notice that there is still remnants attached to his butt. In other words, there is not easy way to put this. But it's almost as if he runs off before he even finishes. And there is poop attached, and when he comes in the house, everywhere he sits, he leaves stains.

I don't think this is normal

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. Are his stools normal in consistency? Are they loose? Is there a lot of hair in the stools?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not really sure. I notice it when he walks around and a bunch of "mess" sticks out of his butt, so to speak. Or when he sits down and it gets on the furniture.. When I put him outside and run the water hose all over it to clean, it is soft

Thanks for that information. If the stools are slightly soft, they may be getting stuck on some of the fur back there (I light heartedly called them "cling - on's"). These easiest thign to do is a sanitary shave where the fur around the rectum is shaved off so it doesn't get caught on the stools. If the stools are persistently soft, then having a stool sample checked for possible intestinal parasites is recommended. Sometimes loose stools is due to dietary issues. Overall though, shaving the fur around that area will be a huge improvement.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have 2 other schnauzers and they do not have the same problem. This particular dog also tends to eat very fast, just swallows down the food,without really chewing it. Gulping it down. I tried getting the bowl with the ridges inside. Normally when a dog is finished doing it's business, it should have any remnants sticking to it, A really big mess, so to speak. But a stool sample is a good idea, since the other dogs do not have that issue

That is good that the other 2 don't have any similar issues at this time. If the stools are loose, then that is much easier to make a mess with. IF the stools were normal as far as being firm, then that is much, much more difficult to get into the fur.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

since the stools are loose and a mess to clean up then i suspect there is a an issue and need to take him to the vet. By the way, the 3 dogs accidentally got a bag of 6 bagel off the counter while we were gone today and ate them all. Now they are lethargic and just laying there

For some dogs, eating things that aren't a normal part of their diet can throw things off and cause stools to be loose. Those bagels may definitely be a part of the loose stool issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not really. they just got into the bagels today. that particular dog had stool issues for weeks now.

The bagels may then have not helped the situation. It will be interesting to see if there something found on the fecal evaluation. There is a strong chance that it turns up negative for intestinal parasite issues. If that is the case, then maybe a course of oral medication to firm up the stools and a diet change will be recommended.