Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

I accidentally gave my 7 month parvo puppy 1000mL of sub q

I accidentally gave my 7 month parvo puppy 1000mL of sub q fluids! Will she be ok?
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and yes Lady should be fine. Just monitor her closely for any respiratory problems or coughing. Her body should process the fluids without any problems and she will urinate it out. The main worry with fluid over load is causing "wet lungs" which is much more common in older dogs with heart problems. So her chances of this occurring is minimal. So monitor for coughing or breathing issues (panting hard for no reason, not able to catch her breath, stretching out neck to breath). If this occurs she needs to be seen by an emergency vet immediately. Otherwise her body should process these fluids by the morning and be back to normal. I hope this makes sense and I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so i receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Whitehead thsnk you for relieving my paranoia. Her diarrhea is getting more bloody and less mucusy. Is this normal
You are welcome. Yes it is normal for the diarrhea changing but monitor that the bloody diarrhea starts to improve here in the next day or two. please let me know if you have any other additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The amount of blood was enough to soak up an entire wash cloth, seems like a lot of blood loss! Is there anything I can give her to help through this? The ER vet only gave the sub q fluids, injected an anti nausea, and pill antibiotics! I heard you could give pepto bismol, is this true and how much/often? After all this fluid absorbs and I get back to the right dose. If the liquid absorbs sooner than the 12 hour mark, do I still wait until the next dose? I feel so stinking helplesss, she is miserable!
That is a lot of blood for a puppy so that is worrisome. She most likely needs to be hospitalized on Iv fluids and medications. That is the best way to attempt to treat Parvo. You can give pepto at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 15 pounds every 8 hours. Do not give more it can be toxic at high doses. Yes wait for the next 12 hour mark in fluids. If she does not improve or worsens she needs to be hospitalized.