Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

my dog has been coughing and gaging. He had a bone (the kind

my dog has been coughing and gaging. He had a bone (the kind with filling inside). I finally took it away. I thought I'd check to see what I should watch for. My daughter's pup had kennel cough before she got her. Luna was treated as part of her pre adopt services. She is not coughing now. I just wondered if it could have transmitted to my 2 year old.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Has your dog ever been vaccinated against kennel cough?

Is Nemo doing any attempting to vomit?

Is he eating and drinking nromally?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes attempting to vomit. Mostly at night. I rescued him in April 2013. Don't know if he was vaccinated for kennel cough. He had DHLP & Rabies. Then he had his boosters on time in May. He is on heart worm prevention.

He is eating normally. He is not a big eater. Drinking more than usual after he has been in his cage.

Is his belly hard to the touch or soft?

Is he keeping down the food he's eating?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

His belly is soft and seems normal. He is keeping food down.

Perfect. Thanks for the additional information Carol. I really appreciate it.

Since your dog isn't showing any signs of obstruction from the bone, I suspect he did pick up kennel cough.

If this were me, I'd give the vet a call in the morning and explain to them that your dog has had contact with a kennel cough positive dog and ask them to send out antibiotics to get it cleared up.

The good thing is that with young, healthy dogs, kennel cough is annoying, but rarely turns into anything serious. A week or so of antibiotics will get it stopped.

I hope this helps.
Hi Carol,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Nemo. How is everything going?

Lisa
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Better, thanks. The antibiotics and the Robitussin DM is helping. He is almost back to his usual self. How long should he take the antibiotics?

We generally run the antibiotics for 14 days. I'm happy to hear that he's feeling better!!