Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian

My 15 year-old Norwich Terrier died three weeks ago. He was

My 15 year-old Norwich Terrier died three weeks ago. He was being treated for severe arthritis for many years (gabbapentin, amantadine, deramaxx) as well as high blood pressure (enalapril, amolodopine). He had vestibular syndrome twice (July 2012 and again July 2013); in both cases, he appeared to fully recover although the second incidence resulted in a two-day hospital stay. He also suffered from panic attacks starting around the age of 13; these would occur about every three months. He was deaf and had impaired vision due to cataracts.

On 9/25, he was normal, and in fact, very engaged -- asking for his food at dinnertime. During that night, he awakened around 10:30 making a sound similar to what he would make during his panic attacks. I picked him up, and because I was able to comfort him, I knew it wasn't a panic attack; he as also trembling/shivering. I was able to get him back to sleep but he awakened again in the same manner at around 4:40am. Again, I got him back to sleep.

I already had a vet appointment scheduled for that morning so I tried to feed him and he did respond to my hand-feeding. I went to pick him and he peed. On the way to the vet, he defecated in his bed; his stool was firm.

When we arrived at the vet, she said, "he's really sick -- his tongue is white and his blood pressure is 70". We tried to get blood but couldn't so we did an ultrasound on his stomach but didn't see any blood there.

I made the decision to put him down because I didn't want him to suffer and recently, he was having difficulty standing to do his business due to the arthritis.

I am tortured as to what happened to and hoping I made the right decision. Can you shed any light on what might have happened to him?

Thank you so much.
Jan
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

Dr. G. :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G. :

I am so very sorry for the loss of Rags. Losing a loved one is very difficult. Your decision was definitely the right decision

Dr. G. :

As far as what may have cause death: your dog was in shock and the exact cause of the shock is very difficult to determine. It is likely there was heart failure at the end which led to Rags declining so quickly. Unfortunately the only way to know for sure is by having a necropsy (animal autopsy) performed to find the exact cause.

Dr. G. :

Please feel free to reply back with your concerns. I will be standing by waiting for your responses

Customer:

Thank you so much for your response. Needless to say, I am devastated by the loss of the best dog I have ever had.

Dr. G. :

You are welcome. It is so hard to lose a pet and to make the decision to euthanize

Customer:

While we were at the vet, she checked his heart and it seemed alright. Is it possible his heart would sound right but be failing?

Dr. G. :

It is possible that the heart could have been normal but still failing. There was a massive cardiovascular collapse, which may have begun at the heart itself or in the periphery (veins, arteries, other organs)

Customer:

Also, something I thought of later. His head showed loss of muscle mass. Could something have been going on in his head?

Customer:

The loss of muscle mass was in his head.

Dr. G. :

Muscle loss is often seen in older pets and even humans. The muscle loss could have been age related or could have been due to something else. Potentially a cancer of some sort could have caused all of the signs

Customer:

That is what I am suspecting. Thank you so much for your help with this.

Customer:

He has a wonderful life and so enriched mine. I just wanted to be sure I did all I could for him.

Customer:

He was so deserving.

Customer:

Thank you again.

Customer:

Have a great day.

Dr. G. :

you are very welcome. Again I am sorry for your loss. Have a great day as well

Dr. G. :

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you again.

Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience: Private Practice Veterinarian
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.