Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

Hi there - My 4-year-old Italian greyhound is acting strangely.

Hi there -

My 4-year-old Italian greyhound is acting strangely. He ate fine yesterday but has refused food thus far today, though he goes to his bowl like he is interested but turns away. He did, however, take his treat for potty earlier. His bathroom habits are normal over the last several days.

He seems VERY anxious and can't settle down. He keeps folding himself into a tiny ball but then gets right up again. He's shaking a good bit, and doing his "bow stretch" (head down, butt in the air) and holding himself there. He also seems to want to lick his backside...not his bum necessarily but just his rear half, as if something back there is bothering him. He's also stretching his rear legs out, tucking his tail and walking kind of strangely.

He gets an upset stomach now and then but he's never behaved like this before.

Dr. G. :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G. :

I am sorry to hear Maurice is not doing well.

Dr. G. :

Is he on any medications right now including monthly flea prevention and heartworm prevention?

Customer:

He takes heartworm prevention every month, but no other medications. Sometimes he gets half a Benadryl for allergies but he hasn't had one in more than a week.

Dr. G. :

I see. The signs of wanting to lick near the hind area and not being on flea prevention is typically due to fleas. Sometimes the posture and way he is walking can also be due to fleas because of the discomfort. Given his breed, I would also be worried about luxating patellas (knee caps that move abnormally) causing some discomfort as well. This is quite common in the breed and is often not diagnosed until there is a problem however it is commonly present as a puppy

Customer:

Thank you. I thought it might be his gut, because it was noisy earlier this morning as it is when he has an upset stomach. But it has been quiet for a while - he just looks/acts so uncomfortable, and given the stretching it seemed like he was trying to find some relief.

Dr. G. :

I would try feeding some plain boiled chicken and rice today as it is very easy on the stomach. I think it is likely not related to the stomach itself, but it may make him have a better appetite today

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX give that a try.

Dr. G. :

You are very welcome. I wish you the best with Maurice. Please feel free to reply back if you need any more information or if something is unclear. Have a great day!