Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

my 12 week old golden retriever has had 4 episodes of where

my 12 week old golden retriever has had 4 episodes of where he has played outside (rather rough with his brother) and it looks like his left shoulder cant support his body and he cant stand i lay him down in his s crate and it resolves in about 5 minutes or less but it is scary to watch. I brought him to the vet yesterday and the vet thought thaB he might just be getting the wind knocked out of him. But i am sure it is not that. Does this happen in puppIes?
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It sounds like it's more of a joint issue if you're seeing it in just one leg. I would wonder whether he's getting some inflammation in the growth plate and that leads to instability. If it resolves on it's own, then I wouldn't worry too much. Most dogs will grow out of this type of thing.

If it seems to be getting worse or more frequent, then I would get a consult with a veterinary orthopedist to see if it's anything serious like elbow dysplasia or a partially dislocated shoulder. Those would require surgical correction. I doubt that is going to be the case though, as those dogs don't typically have signs that come and go.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you-makes me feel a little better. So would you say this is something common in puppies?

I wouldn't say that it's common, but it's not too uncommon in larger breed puppies.