Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

soft wart like growths on back

soft wart like growths on back
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Jack has some growths you are worried about. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

How long have they been there?

Do they seem to be bothering him at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

since we had him cut, 4/5 weeks ago

do not seen to bother him

although he seems to have aged

Thank you.

It is very common for dogs to have benign skin growths as they age.However, if this is new since his last grooming it is possible that this is due to the papillomavirus. Link
With this we can see wart like growths on the skin or in the mouth.

Considering his age we always have to be sure that any type of growth is not cancer related.
I would suggest having this looked at by the vet and some testing done if they feel it is necessary. Your vet can start with a very inexpensive test called a FNA( Fine Needle Aspirant) This is where they remove a few cells from one of the growths with a needle. This is not painful and does not require anesthesia. Once the cells are aspirated from the lump they are then sprayed on a slide and stained for viewing under the microscope. Most vets can read these slides but you always have the option to send it to a pathologist. In most cases they can tell what this is by the types of cells present.

It is possible that once your vet sees this in person they may not feel any testing is needed. A virus or skin infection can be cleared with oral medications, normal old dog growths we just leave them be unless the dogs seems uncomfortable.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be more then happy to continue.