Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

My 7 year old 18lbs Dachshund ate section of a guitar strap

Customer Question

My 7 year old 18lbs Dachshund ate section of a guitar strap last night and has been vomiting and having diarrhea today. What do you think should be done?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 8 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Since Holly is at the vets now, they will most likely take an x ray to determine where this part of the strap is located...it appears that this may be causing an obstruction of Holly's intestinal tract and if it is too far down the tract, they may need to perform surgery to remove this.

This may be stuck in the stomach that your vet may be able to remove using a Endoscope which will be less invasive and safer for Holly. Let me know what they found and I can help you further....

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your answer. The vet will do an x-ray on Holly to see where the blockage is located. If surgery is needed how much would that typically cost and would you recommend it for a dog with lupus?

HI Alan....if this is a total blockage, there is no choice but to remove this surgically. It is safe on a dog with lupus but infection is a concern because of the compromised immune system from the Lupus....your vet will keep this under control.

The cost is hard to tell but it will usually run anywhere from $700-2000, depending on complications, Alan...well worth it though....
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Thank you so much, Alan for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Holly is doing well.

Have a great day!

Hi Alan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Holly. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta