Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

my 8 month old basset hound has one that was slightly

my 8 month old basset hound has one breast that was slightly swollen this morning but by this evening it is much more swollen. it is warm to touch seems it my be slightly pain to her. she went into heat during the summer maybe june.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

It sounds to me like your dog might have an infection in her mammary chain that is commonly called mastitis. Unfortunately, this is something we see in unspayed females with some regularity, and there is evidence that once a dog gets it, they may get it repeatedly until they get spayed.

Of course, it goes without saying that without actually seeing the dog, it's almost impossible to say for sure whether this is mastitis or something more serious, so I think getting her to her vet is a good is idea. They'll be able to send out some pain meds to make her more comfortable. As a general rule, mastitis is treated with an antibiotic such as Cephalexin or Clavamox. Of course, these are only available through a licensed veterinarian, so until you can get your girl seen, you can try warm compresses a couple times a day. This may make her feel a little more comfortable until you can have your vet take a peek at her in the morning when your vet opens..

I hope this helps!!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thats what I was thinking, I have an appointment in the morning with our vet. I plan on getting her fixed next month. will this happen after I get her fixed.

Nope. Once the hormones are gone, the issues like mastitis (which is triggered by normones) will go away.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gabi. How is everything going?