Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

Oct 5 my 13 year old 70 pound mixed breed developed hacking

Oct 5 my 13 year old 70 pound mixed breed developed hacking cough gagging up white foamy stuff Vet ordered Cipro for respiratory infection ---did not improve Oct 13 severely SOB resp 76 Started on  prednisone and doxicycline couldn't get down Vomiting gastric fluid  and food he tried to eat.Taken back to the vet and meds given I.M Chest x ray showed some pulmonary interstitial changes in bottom of one lobe of lung No temp OCt 16 Rufus unable to stand-didn't even want to hold his head up Resp 60 and labored put to sleep Oct 16 He was suffering and I could not bear to see him in such constant distress Do not know what he had What do you think All labs were normal  Current on all shots and heartworm negative

Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am very sorry to hear about Rufus. From your description it is most likely that Rufus was suffering from severe pneumonia. Which is an infection in the lungs. Either caused by bacteria, which is most likely or a virus or fungal. With the hacking cough he most likely contracted infectious tracheobronchitis (kennel cough) and it was a rather aggressive form that then turned into pneumonia and unfortunately progress rapidly causing his decline. Your decision was very loving and humane. Unfortunately just like in humans pneumonia in dogs of this age is very dangerous and often times can be fatal even with aggressive treatment. Again I am very sorry for your loss. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Most of the time we never know the true source of where the infection was contracted. It can be anywhere in the environment if a dog walked by in the neighborhood or side walk or ran through the yard with an infection and then left the bug behind etc. . . so usually we do not figure out where he caught it from. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he was current on his kennel cough shot-he could still contract it?P

Yes unfortunately the kennel cough vaccine protects against only 4 strains. It is like the flu vaccine in humans. It is not a 100% because there are many many different strains and causes. So we do our best to protect them from the infection. If they do catch one of those strains it should help them recover quicker from it but again this is much more difficult in older dogs since their immune system is not as strong as when they were young.
Hi Sue,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am doing much better. thank you for checking back with me

Wonderful! Glad to hear