Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

Our 9 year old Golden Retriever has had inoperable cancer and

Our 9 year old Golden Retriever has had inoperable cancer and is very near death tonight. We live out in the country - no vets. I'm trying to make him comfortable and have given him some alprazolam over the past several hours. (One pill) Can I give him more? Will it help him at all?

My husband has a condition that allows him to use Oxycontin. Would that help my dog? He doesn't seem to be in pain, but he is lingering with labored breathing.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am so sorry to hear about Junior. That is very tough to go through. Alprazolam will definitely help him relax and feel good. The dose of alprazolam is 1 mg per 40 lbs of body weight but it is very hard to overdose in dogs and can be given every 4 to 6 hours. Oxycontin can be given to dogs but there is not a lot of information on the dosage in dogs. One resource states the dose is 0.05 mg per pound of body weight every 8 to 12 hours. So i hope that helps some. I would not try to euthanize him using your drugs at home as this is not considered humane but can also cause Junior more stress and pain then intended. So it is recommended to give the doses provided and hopefully he has a peaceful night and can be seen by your vet tomorrow morning for humane euthanasia if necessary. I hope that makes sense. If you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you.
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much... I appreciate your answer, and also understand that it is far better to euthanize at a vet's office. Unfortunately, where we live no vets work after 12:00 p.m. on Friday or during the weekend.

(You might consider moving to Northern Arizona!) Junior is not in pain now, and I think the Alprazolam and Oxycontin have helped. It will not be long now... I mostly wanted to know that those two drugs would not cause him convulsions or vomiting... he is pretty much unconscious now and we'll do the best we can.

I definitely understand and the medications should definitely help him relax and have a peaceful night. They should not cause convulsions or vomiting. He should just sleep very deeply and peacefully. I again am sorry you have to go through this but he is lucky to have such a loving family by his side.