Dr. J.
Dr. J., Veterinarian
Experience:  I have practiced veterinary medicine with a diverse case load for over 24 years.
27344366

Hello

Customer Question

What have you tried so far?: Hello, I am going to upload pictures after submitting this question due to no upload feature, of her right eye - am not too sure but tell me what is it? Since yesterday. 

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. J. replied 10 months ago.

Dr. J. :

Hi, this is Dr J and I will try and help you.

Customer:

Good Evening as it is late here in Ireland.

Customer:

I hope you are well and my Grace is based in London England so I am home in Ireland visiting my family so my partner asked me about it and am not too sure and have reported to you for assistance.

Dr. J. :

Your pictures show what looks like a dog with a possible conjunctivitis. Unfortunately, the eye is one of those organs that gets conjunctivitis no matter what is wrong with it. In other words, this could be trauma, corneal ulcer,or allergic conjunctivitis. This means that unfortunately you will have to see a vet for this and they will have to look for a foreign body, test for an ulcer and maybe do a tear test. Does this make sense?

Dr. J. :

I truly wish I could help you more...but this has to be hands on to figure it out.......

Dr. J. :

I am standing by in case you have other questions.....

Customer:

Ok

Customer:

Let me think.

Customer:

What if it gets better in the morning and what happens next?

Dr. J. :

If it really gets better in am , fantastic....... but that is not likely.

Customer:

She is herself as usual playing and messing with my partner so she seems fine and it may be allergic reaction.

Customer:

Lets wait and see in the morning and I am sure that it is allergic reaction from the air outside perhaps.

Dr. J. :

You will know because your Grace will continue to squint her eye. IF she does continue to squint then you will know you have to take her in. Allergy is possible but not as likely since it is in only one eye........but we can hope for that!

Customer:

If allergic reaction then it is both eyes being affected?

Dr. J. :

Can I answer any other questions for you? Make sure you take her to a vet if still squinting because if she has ulcer it could get infected and that would be very bad. Usually allergies affect both eyes, but not always.

Dr. J. :

Did you bathe her ecently?

Customer:

Bath her yes - every 3 or 4 weeks.

Dr. J. :

Sorry for typo...did you bathe her recently?

Dr. J. :

But when was the last time?

Customer:

Three weeks ago

Dr. J. :

Was it before her eyewent bad?

Customer:

She is due for a bath soon but will put that off for now.

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

Her eye developed only yesterday after I left for Ireland.

Customer:

We have a cat - a kitten and I don't think it was her because their bond is very strong.

Dr. J. :

Ok, then not related to bath.OH, yes, that could definitely be a kitten problem. No matter how strong their bond kittens will swat when they play. She probably got her eye or the lid.That definitely needs attention.That happens all the time in vet practice.

Dr. J. :

glad you told me about kitten. When kittens are in the home that is the number one cause of eye problems in dogs...

Dr. J. :

If she caught her cornea, that has to be treated or she could lose her eye.....

Customer:

Right

Dr. J. :

Kitties have very nasty bacteria in their claws normally....

Customer:

I will have her sent to the vet for treatment first thing tomorrow morning

Dr. J. :

That sounds great!

Dr. J. :

Can I answer anything else for you?

Customer:

Nothing else but for now I have to wait 12 hours e.g 9am so what shall I do now unilt then?

Customer:

Water it or what?

Dr. J. :

Unfortunately, there is not anything you can do.....just wipe the drainage away. She will likely need antibiotics topically and maybe systemically.

Dr. J. :

If you get her in first thing she should be ok

Customer:

Will do and thanks for your time. I will get Zara the kitten sorted out by telling her off.

Customer:

Any other useful tips?

Customer:

She needs to be aware that it is not nice to do that to her sister Grace!

Dr. J. :

Kitties are wonderful but when they are young , they are wild....just supervise them when they play...Zara does not know any better....:)

Dr. J. :

All kitties play rough when they are young..

Customer:

:-)

Customer:

Grace often plays with Zara and they both do but maybe Zara does not realise that her claws are dangerous!

Customer:

Anyway just spoke to my mother and she suggest using boil water with salt and cotton wool to cleanse Grace's right eye?

Dr. J. :

Can I answer any other questions for you? That is right about Zara's claws....make sure to keep them trimmed....

Customer:

Oh yes, we did trim her claws a couple of weeks ago but we did not but will do tonight.

Dr. J. :

Don't put salt near Grace's eye, that can make it worse....

Customer:

Okay

Dr. J. :

A warm cloth would be ok...

Customer:

..and rub outside her eye?

Dr. J. :

Any other questions for me???

Dr. J. :

No rubbing...just hold cloth on eye....

Customer:

Okay, thank you for your time and sorry for keeping you long and I apologise for that.

Customer:

Bye for now.

Dr. J. :

No problem...need anything else just ask for DrJ ......:))

Customer:

Will do.

Customer:

Bye for now

Dr. J., Veterinarian
Experience: I have practiced veterinary medicine with a diverse case load for over 24 years.
Expert:  Dr. J. replied 10 months ago.
Please let me know how Grace did.I hope she is ok! DRJ
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your message and I am sorry for not replying any sooner.

I am very please to update you that Grace's eye is improving after a visit to the vet last Friday based on your advice. She got conjunctivitis. She is prescribed with a eye drop 5 times a day for a week.

Thank you very much for your time and much appreciated. However, I would like to ask you a new question in relation to her weight and I hope you can update this ticket as a new question so that I can pay you.

Please find attached pictures. It is about her weight that is worrying us. The vet thinks she is overweight because she should be weighted at 7.5kg but she is at the moment at 9.5kg. That is a worrying sign and we do not over feed her. She have a bowl of foods on a daily basis with a big bowl of water and I take her out for a daily 45 minutes fast walk in the Kensington Gardens London which is on my door step! I spoke to my partner about the portion size and he don't agree with my view but I think she should be given a small portion on a daily basis. Tell me what you think after reviewing the attached pictures. Thank you ever so much for your time again.

That is her weight at the moment and up to now, she is having this portion size.

That is her portion size up to now - 15cm.

I think this would be a better smaller portion perhaps twice a day?

You see the difference in size?

The smaller one is 10cm and maybe once a day or maybe half of that portion 10cm size twice a day?

That is her foods on a daily basis but was given a diet one once and I think it was not working either?

Many thanks for your time and I hope I have given you a very informative report for your advice.

Peter

Expert:  Dr. J. replied 10 months ago.
Peter,
We don't have to make a new question. You can just add a bonus and that will be fine. You are correct. Grace is overweight. She has body condition score of about 6.5-7.0. She should be a 5. Your portion is much more accurate. If she is overweight the only way to solve this is to do smaller portions and I would recommend twice per day. That is better for feeding. Also watch the amount of treats.....that is frequently a problem. Green beans make great low cal treats. I have to be out for rest of day but will check back tonight to see if I can answer more questions.Sincerely, Dr.J
Dr. J., Veterinarian
Expert:  Dr. J. replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the bonus....let me know if you ever need further help. Best, DrJ