Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

What else can you use for itching when it generally happens

What else can you use for itching when it generally happens when my dog changes his coat without using Medrone V as he has been drinking gallons and peeing forever.

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

Long term use of steroids such as the Medrone V can have other side effects besides the increased drinking and urination. This can also increase risks of diabetes, Cushings disease,liver disease etc, so it is good you are looking for another alternative.

In some cases antihistamines can help with the itching. I am not sure exactly which ones you have available over the counter in the UK so the following link will give you the names and dosages for the most commonly used in dogs. LINK

Resicort which is a leave on conditioner is great for itching as well and can be used daily if needed. I have an allergy dog as well and I never run out of this.

I would ask your vet about trying a medication called Atopica

I would also add an Omega fatty acid supplement to his diet. You can get these at most pet stores or online.

I hope this helps give you a few additional options to try. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to help.