Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

I have a 7 year female Golden Retriever weighing 100 lbs (down

I have a 7 year female Golden Retriever weighing 100 lbs (down from 112). She certainly does not look fat- is just big boned. Trying to get her down to around 90. Anyway, I usually walk her about 1/2 mile every day but have recently noticed that when I walk her every other day she is energetic for the whole walk as opposed to be energetic for the first half of a daily walk and then must less energetic for the second half of the walk. So, should I start doing every other day, a shorter walk daily or ???

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Loki is having some trouble with her weight and daily walks.

At her age it could be that she has some arthritis that is bothering her if she walks to long to often, however being over weight can also cause this.
If you have not had recent blood work done that would be recommended just to be sure that her weight and exercise intolerance are not due to hypothyroidism which is common in this breed. A good physical exam would be great as well.

I would suggest if she does well with the first half of the walk when done daily that you shorten the walks to 1/4 of a mile. She may be ok doing this twice per day rather then all at once. Daily exercise is important for their over all health.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.

Hi Randy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Loki. How is everything going?