Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  24 yrs. experience in dog training and behavior, pet first aide and therapy dog evaluation. Member of PAS Animal Response Team.

My mom and dad had two Bichons, now age 15. Mom died three

My mom and dad had two Bichons, now age 15. Mom died three years ago and dad died 1.5 years ago. My sister and I care for dogs. I come to the house in day and sister comes at night. During dog's lives dogs have rarely been alone. Parents elderly and retired. Breeder said that she doesn't sell Bichons to working people who have to leave dogs alone during day.

My sister and I are not getting along but I want to do what is best for dogs. Dogs are closer to me. I visited them everyday of their lives. I am nurturing and they are my priority in life. Sister loves them but doesn't have good judgment and isn't very nurturing. She failed to get teeth cleaned and one got kidney damage. Now the same one has a hairline fraction that I think was caused by repeated jumping on stairs that sister encouraged (after I warned her of risks).

Would the grief associated by taking my sister out of the picture ( see dogs occasionally but not daily) be offset by the less strain on me and better care for dogs from me on a full-time basis but with relief by my friends and maybe a dogsitter. I have allergies so being around the dogs 24/7 would be difficult but probably not impossible.

Key question- would dogs suffer much from another loss of a person close to them- they are older and one is has kidney disease and broken leg?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 months ago.

Sally G. :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

Sally G. :

Dogs are rehomed all the time and though they will more than likely remember you and your sister when they see you if the home they have is a good one with care and nurturing it will not seem a big deal. Dogs that are re homed and mistreated will suffer because they will associate new people with pain.

Sally G. :

I don't see any ill effects on them if someone is there with them daily

Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience: 24 yrs. experience in dog training and behavior, pet first aide and therapy dog evaluation. Member of PAS Animal Response Team.