Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

Last night my dog jumped up on the couch, she was trying to

Last night my dog jumped up on the couch, she was trying to find a position she liked. She was getting all stretched out, then she just starts crying out in pain. I felt each joint in her legs, checked her paws, between her toes. she didnt yelp and i didnt see any marks. She didnt want to move as much but would still jump down off the couch, she ate dinner and drank. She seemed to be okay after that just moved slowly. We went to bed later and everything seemed to be fine, when she got up this morning she yelped again but seemed to be fine again. I am not sure what to do now.

My dog is a bichon, she is 16lbs, and 9.5 years old.
Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

You may be looking at a disc issue which is common for this breed. It can come on suddenly or build up gradually. There is a soft tissue that cushions the disc and sometimes this turns hard and pinches the nerve, There are other disc issues as well that could be going on.

It is advisable that the dog get complete rest no jumping up or off of anything and taken out for potty reasons only.

I am going to direct you to a couple of sites that go over this but if the pain persists you will want to get a proper hands on diagnosis and prescription for the pain.

This can happen in the neck region or the lower spine

Picture of disc

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How long should i keep her on bed rest?

I would give her at least 4 to 5 days and if you don't see improvement or if you see her starting to decline then contact your vet. If you see she does not have use of the rear legs it is an emergency and time is of the essence so keep the ER vet number handy at all times.Especially given her age
Hi Heather,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sophie. How is everything going?

Sally G.