Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Hi We have had a dog lab german shepherd cross from a rescue

Hi
We have had a dog lab german shepherd cross from a rescue center for a week he is 3 years old. Most of the time lovley. I walk him twice a day and the kids play ball in the garden for half an hour a day.
Problem is he wants to play all the time if you ignore him he jumps up and is mouthing he has bitten me twice husband once and now both kids not badly but enough for both of them to be scared of him.
We have had a real battle of who is the leader - when i first walked him he pulled but today now he is walking much better not great but better so feel he is able to learn.
last night he jumped on me and hurt me i am bruised all over - he even marked his area where i held him down. poke to the resue place they said he is stressed which i understand and its early days but i cannt leave the dog along with the kids as i dont trust him and they will never be stronger enough to handle him.
Any thoughts or ideas

Sally G. :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

Sally G. :

Please tell me what you mean by holding him down?

Sally G. :

Hello?

Sally G. :

I am not sure if you are still online as you have not responded What I am going to suggest is that you train him to sit before he gets any attention and reward that behavior. Holding a dog down physically usually makes things worse. If you can train him to sit and work on other obedience commands he may do better for you. Don't forget he is a rescue and may never have been trained properly. IF he is biting because he wants to play then he may need some dog puzzle type toys rather than fetch because these are mind stimulating. Fetch is more for exercising the body which is also good.

Sally G. :

I will await your reply before going futher

Customer:

Hi

Customer:

When i said held down he was trying to get my attention so i was ignoring him but he jumped up to mouth my face so i held him down while i told him off. he then went on to wee on the spot - he is house trained. he will not listen to me no matter how commanding i am. i feel we are having a real power battle. what worries me if i cannt control how will the children deal with him.

Customer:

not sure if this will change with him or his nature

Thank you for that information Jayne. I would say that a dog is not going to listen to children as they don't see them as equal depending on the age of the kids. regarding personality of the dog this dog should be given an temperament test though it does not sound malicious by what you say it is always a good idea to get.

To stop the dog from acting out in this manner will take much time and training because this is the way he obviously was allowed to act for a long time so he has a learned behavior which now has to be unlearned. So it is up to you what you wish to do as I don't what type of time you have on your hands with two kids. It may be best that this dog go with someone who has the time and experience to train it and you look into another dog, possibly a smaller one.

The reason the dog peed is that he may have some submissive issues and the fact that you held him there may have made him nervous, if he peed at the time you were holding him.