Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

I have three dogs. The one I am referring to is my Great Dane.

Customer Question

I have three dogs. The one I am referring to is my Great Dane. I feed her on an elevated table. Every time that I feed her, she picks up her bowl and carries It on to the couch where she lays down with her dish between her legs and eats. Is it ok for her to lay down while she is eating.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 3 years ago.
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and Kailey sounds like a very smart girl. Yes it is ok for her to eat like this. They have done significant research into how much feeding dogs on elevated surfaces vs. on the ground vs. laying down. And they did not find a whole lot of difference. It is important to not let her scarf it down though because they take a lot of air in while they are scarfing that can lead to bloat. So laying down is not a huge concern. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. Yes, kailey eats very slowly. She chews each piece individually. If she drops a piece, she must pick that piece up and eat it before she gets another piece from her bowl. She is a lady.
That is good. I am glad she eats like that.
Hi Joni,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kailey. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead