Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

I recently moved to a new house and since moving last week,

I recently moved to a new house and since moving last week, our dog whom is normally very very quiet has been actively barking through most of the night. Most barking begins around 10 or 11p and can go until 3am some evenings. Not sure why or what to do.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions...

Does Dolly only act like this at night?

HOw long have you lived in this new house?

Does she have any other unusual behaviors?

Is she quieter in the house or outside?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Lisa..

Yes, Dolly only does this behavior at night.

I moved into the house last week and it has occurred since.

I have not noticed any other unusual behaviors, still eats and drinks well also.

She will bark inside the house too, which is why I thought the dog door would help. If she had a chance to go outside on her own and investigate, she would see there wasn't any problem and come back in. But now she is barking for extensive bits of time outside. She also barks inside, but not as much with the dog door. Now it is mostly outside.

Thanks for the additional information Pam. I really appreciate it.

I suspect she's just got some anxiety from the new house. Just like with a person, a dog can take soem time to adjust to the new noises, scents and animals of a new home.

Luckily, there are a few over-the-counter options we could try to take the edge off her anxiety at night...

A couple things you could try would be:

Melantonin is an over-the-counter drug that can be used to treat some anxiety issues in dogs. The dose you would give would be up to 3 mg given orally whenever necessary up to every 8 hours. More information can be found here: , which includes risks, warning signs to watch out for and other bits of useful information.

Try a DAP collar. These are collars that are impregnated with a man-made version of the dog appeasing pheromone, which is a pheromone that nursing bitches give off to their pups to help them feel calm and secure. It's something that humans can't smell, but it has an amazing effect on dogs with anxiety and other issues. Although you can find them at your vet's can also find them online at places like and Ebay for much cheaper. Just make sure they're DAP brand, as they seem to work better than some other versions.

I suspect that a few more weeks and the calming agent will get her settled in and sleeping through the night.