Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

my dog got hit by a milk truck yesterday, saw it happen and

my dog got hit by a milk truck yesterday, saw it happen and brought her to the vet right away, one of her front legs is broken and she can't move or feel or other front leg...the vet says to give her two weeks to see if anything happens. If she is paralyzed what are my options besides putting her down?
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am very sorry to hear about Sadie. That is very hard to watch. Hopefully you vet put her on some anti inflammatories. If she has spinal damage they can help reduce the inflammation and give the spine some chance to recover. If she is paralyzed though there is a wonderful company out here called eddies wheels. The website is and there are all different options for each dog and they go through the whole process of how to measure and size them for her and how to order. So that is a very good option. You should also look into if there is any physical rehabilition close to you for animals. Just like in humans PT's work with dogs to help gain some strength back if possible and will help her get used to the cart if necessary. Your vet should be able to find the closest one to you and get you that information. Finally your vet can help you with nursing care, such as helping her urinate if necessary by expressing her bladder and keeping her rear end clean from feces etc. So there are options but just like humans she will need help and nursing care if she does not improve. But i have seen them live happy lives with dedicated owners. But definitely give her some time and use anti inflammatory medications to help reduce any inflammation. Finally you can seek a second opinion at a specialty hospital to see if anything else can be done for the current paralysis. There is nothing wrong with that. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The vet said since it is both front legs that her other front leg will not heal properly because it it both bones broke on her lower leg, and thus that one can not be the weight bearing this true or can she essentially heal and basically be a three legged dog?

Without seeing the actual x ray it would be hard to say for sure but if the leg that is broken is immobilized with a cast and the bones are lined up at least somewhat then there is a chance that they can heal. But she will need a lot of help getting around and moving until it does heal. If it heals then it should still function it just may be 100% normal like before. The only way to guarantee that is to surgically repair the fracture most likely. If it does not start to heal though in a few weeks then it will just keep causing pain and prevent her from getting around if her paralysis starts to resolve so it should be immobilized in a cast by your vet and at least given a chance to heal.