Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

My 2 1/2 yr old Golden Retriever has been having high temperature

My 2 1/2 yr old Golden Retriever has been having high temperature for a month now - two weeks of wrong diagnosis and treatment. Followed by now 2 weeks of treatment for Tick Fever (tho the blood test was negative). Her spleen and liver showed considerable swelling then. Spleen is normal now. But Liver is still slightly swollen and her liver function tests also show a high count. She has been given other antibiotics for the past three days alongwith some medication for the liver. She still continues to have low grade fever, but only in the evenings. Please help suggest ....
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

I'd be curious to know which antibiotics were used,

Dr. Drew :

as there are some types of antibiotics that are more effective against tick-borne illnesses.

Dr. Drew :

Doxycycline and Minocycline are the preferred choice for treatment of most tick-borne infections.

Dr. Drew :

Though not very common, cancer is something we do need to keep in mind here.

Dr. Drew :

I've seen several young Golden Retrievers with Lymphoma, a type of cancer that can cause enlargement of the internal organs, fever, and a failure to respond to antibiotics.

Dr. Drew :

So if the problem has not responded to the correct drugs,

Dr. Drew :

then I'd have to suggest further internal investigation, perhaps even including biopsies of the liver, to determine what is going on at the microscopic level.

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 9 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Attachment: 2013-10-17_060234_scan0007.pdf

She was on tetracycline for tick fever till three days ago. Now the vet has changed to a more generic antibiotic for three days. She will be back on tetracycline for another 2 weeks

Her reports are attached.

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 9 months ago.
One thing that comes to mind, is that the test done for tick-borne diseases, did not include Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, which could cause some of the signs you described. I don't know if that disease is present in your area, but it is something else to consider, and if you are able to obtain Doxycycline, it may be more effective than Tetracycline.

Beyond that, the rest of the laboratory information is fairly unremarkable, other than the liver enzymes appear to be increasing, which is of concern, and may indicate a hepatitis of some type. Some liver support type medicines might be useful, such as S-Adenosylmethionine, Milk Thistle, Vitamin E, and an antibiotic known as Metronidazole.

Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Medicine and Surgery