Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal General Practitioner and practice owner with 8+ years experience

My shih tzu was with my mom over the weekend. She said he started

My shih tzu was with my mom over the weekend. She said he started sneezing a lot last night. I picked him up today and his eyes are blood shot and he is "power" sneezing periodically. So much so, he has hit his chin on the floor a couple times. I already have a vet appointment for Thursday morning to get shots. Should I get him in tomorrow instead if this continues? What could this be?
Hi, I am Dr. Jeff. I will try to help you. Please feel free to follow up if any more information is needed. If this is allergies, it could provide some relief to the sneezing. Keep in mind, there is a fair amount of trial and error involved with the use of antihistamines in dogs, so one may work better than another for some individuals. If the clemastine is not helping, it is probably worth the earlier appointment just to provide relief and to rule out other possible issues like infection, dental disease (not likely), foreign object in nasal passage, etc. Your vet may chose a different antihistamine, a steroid and/or antibiotic based on what is noted tomorrow. There is no other home remedy I can offer at this point other than a different antihistamine (which I would not use for 12 hours because of the clemastine). Benedryl (diphenhydramine) can be used at a dose of 1 mg/lb twice daily. I hope this helps and gives you direction.
Dr. Jeff
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just wanted to say thank you for your help. We just had our first child but Charlie (our dog) was our first baby;) I can't stand to see him uncomfortable.
Glad to help!!! and congrats!!!!