knstrand
knstrand, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian
71139618

My 2 year old Shetland Sheepdog, Sadie, has been having a few

My 2 year old Shetland Sheepdog, Sadie, has been having a few issues recently. She woke up yesterday with green puss discharge from her left eye. Shortly after I realized that she was also starting to lick constantly at her left paw. I tried to find if there was a sore or anything but nothing looks different on that paw, but she won't leave it be. I have been cleaning her eye with a moist tissue and have wrapped her paw to prevent further irritation. But.. Next, I took her down to use the bathroom and her poop was a bright yellow color, almost foXXXXX XXXXXke.
Category: Dog
Expert:  knstrand replied 10 months ago.

knstrand :

Hello

knstrand :

My name isXXXXX I will try to help answer your questions about Sadie

knstrand :

With regards XXXXX XXXXX eye, is she squinting or closing the eye? Is the tissue around they eyeball red?

knstrand :

It's possible we are dealing with an allergy that is causing the squinting and discharge (conjunctivitis). You might try some benadryl to help with this (1 mg/lb). I can help you figure this out if you let me know her approx weight

Customer:

She is squinting a lot and seems to struggle with having it open at all. I have tried a saline solution once, but that seemed to irritate it more. She is about 40 lbs.

knstrand :

However, often a secondary bacterial infection will develop around the tissues of the eye (ie the green discharge). And around the skin she is licking on her paw. These issues may not resolve with benadryl alone if there is an infection.

knstrand :

The fact that she cannot open the eye at all makes me worry about a corneal ulcer.

knstrand :

Does she have access to foxtail weeds in the yard, or on walks

Customer:

I wouldn't say the area around the eye is colored at all, there is clear puss in the bottom though.

Customer:

As far as I know, no.

Customer:

we just recently moved states so she is now having leashed walks in the apartment complex, i'm pretty sure there arent any foxtail weeds though

knstrand :

If she cannot open the eye much at all, I would suggest a visit with her regular veterinarian, or establishing one in your area. They will stain the cornea to check for ulceration.

knstrand :

It's very important to get on top of eye conditions quickly because things can deteriorate fast when it comes to ocular conditions

Customer:

Is there something that could explain both the eye discharge and the yellow foam like diarrhea though?

Customer:

I don't want to over explain the situation so if it gets complicated, let me know. Haha. But... when we moved into the new apartments my boyfriend already has a dog, a Chinook. I recently found out that she has been having eye discharge for around a month now. It is more of a clear discharge though, and I've never really noticed it as being something that is discomforting to her. When I was trying to find out what it could be for Sadie online I saw a lot of things indicating "pink eye" which would make sense since the other dog had it prior. But the fact that Sadie's has the green color and she started having the diarrhea made me worry that it could be more.

knstrand :

I'm hard pressed to say that the eye and the yellow stool are connected

knstrand :

Sorry for the delay there

knstrand :

Did she eat anything out of the ordinary lately

Customer:

She has been having chicken and white rice for her last two meals, because she was experiencing mild diarrhea and I read that dogs should be put on a bland diet to help prevent that.

knstrand :

Yes the bland diet of chicken and rice was a good call

knstrand :

Did she get any people treats or changes in dog food/treats right before the diarrhea started?

knstrand :

Sometimes they get ahold of something that we are unaware of and can cause a GI microfloral disturbance which would result in diarrhea

Customer:

When we moved here we switched her to start eating the same food as the other dog to make things easier. We switched it over two weeks, she was eating beneful and now she is having blue wilderness

knstrand :

The diet change may have set off some of these allergies.

knstrand :

I am still concerned about her eye.

knstrand :

Like I said scratches to the cornea can worsen to the point of losing the eye fairly quickly if left untreated.

knstrand :

Unfortunately a vet visit is worth while simply to address the eye. Also bring a stool sample so he/she can test for intestinal parasites and giardia.

knstrand :

However, the diarrhea may simply have been a result of the food change. Some dogs are more sensitive than others.

Customer:

Is there any likeliness that it could just be 'pink eye' between the dogs? or is the green coloring and heavy squinting enough cause that it is more?

knstrand :

If it was just the green discharge, we might be dealing with simple conjunctivitis "pink eye" but..... the heavy squinting is alarming and the only way to make sure it's not going to progressively worsen, would be to have her eye checked by a vet.

Customer:

Okay, i'll find a vet nearby. Thank you!

knstrand :

They may both be experiencing some kind of allergy to new pollens in the area.

knstrand :

You are welcome. Best wishes

knstrand, Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian