Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My 5 year old hairless chinese crested had a seizure last night.

My 5 year old hairless chinese crested had a seizure last night. She was asleep on my husband's lap then suddenly jumped off and started running around looking confused and walking sideways. I picked her up and knew exactly what was going on, her behavior then changed and I could not get her attention, she was stiff and could not stand up anymore, she seemed to be in a trance and did not respond to me at all and started drooling at the mouth, this face lasted about 20 minutes. She finally calmed down and lay down next to me but her body continued to jerk when she was resting. After about 40 minutes she went back to normal behavior and seems fine.
One thing I forgot to mention its that Herrye (my girl dog) has a brother (twin) who also had the same seizure about 5 months ago.
Their vet says there's nothing to be done unless these episodes continue then they will be put on anti-seizure medication.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Herrye had a seizure but glad you were able to tell exactly what was going on.
Your vet is correct that in most cases vets will not start medication unless the seizures begin to show more frequently or they last longer.

There are many possible causes for seizures, however this breed is prone to idiopathic epilepsy and it can be hereditary so it is no surprise that both dogs have had this develop.Link
It would also be worth having some blood work done on both dogs to rule out other problems such as problems with the kidneys, liver or thyroid and make sure the glucose levels are normal.

I would suggest keeping a journal of when each dog has a seizure, how long it lasts and what they were doing before the seizure. I suggest tracking what they do before as some dogs do have triggers such as certain lights, sounds, stress, a full moon etc.

If more then one seizure develops within 24 hours then immediate medical care would be needed other wise just keep an eye on her.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be more then happy to continue.
Candy