Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  29 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Recently I lost one of my Shiloh Shepherds and he was the one

Customer Question

Recently I lost one of my Shiloh Shepherds and he was the one that barked when people came to the door. The one that is left only barks at other animals, will she ever bark when people come to the door?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry about your loss of your dog.

Rebecca :

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

Jill may pick up barking at people coming to the door, but since she does not do it now, she may not.j

Rebecca :

You could try to train her to do it.

Rebecca :

First, you need to teach the command "Speak". Once she learns that, then get a friend to knock at your door or ring the bell, and when you hear that, tell her Speak and give her a reward for barking.

Customer:

How would I train her to bark

Rebecca :

That is more easily shown, than described. You might want to work with a trainer.

Customer:

ah ok....I just got a new puppy and I'm hoping he'll do the barking

Rebecca :

If she is normally a quiet dog, it may not be easy to make her a barker.

Rebecca :

But it can be done. You say speak and try to get her excited with the treat. If she makes any noise at all, you give her the treat.

Customer:

she's not that quiet: she barks at animals and howls at me if she doesn't get what she wants

Rebecca :

Since she is a smart dog, if she really wants the treat, she should make the connection of making a noise when you say Speak and getting the treat.

Rebecca :

Again, more easy to show you than describe it.

Rebecca :

Most people are worried about their dogs barking too much!

Customer:

Yes, you are right. But the puppy's breeder is a trainer so I will get her guidance.

Rebecca :

The puppy may well fill you other dog's duties about the door, especially if you encourage him to.

Customer:

We run a business and it was nice to have some barking when people came to the door.

Rebecca :

I understand.

Customer:

How would I "encourage" him?

Rebecca :

One of both of them can be taught to do this.

Customer:

the new puppy that is....the same way?

Customer:

Jack just barked on his own....

Rebecca :

Just acting excited: Who's at the door? Who's at the door? and getting him to bark even in play. Then reward him for barking.

Rebecca :

But starting with Speak is best. It is usually not hard to get a puppy to bark for a treat being waved around while you act excited.

Rebecca :

Many puppies learn Speak as quickly as Sit or Down.

Customer:

He's very laid back....

Rebecca :

Again, easier to demonstrate than describe.

Customer:

Oh ok

Rebecca :

If you are taking him to a puppy class, they can help you.

Customer:

Yes I am and that's a great idea

Rebecca :

Yes, they can help you.

Rebecca :

Once he learns Speak, then teach him Hush. It is good to be able to get him to stop barking when you want him to.

Customer:

Yes that was the problem with Jack -- it was hard to get him to stop barking when people came to the door

Rebecca :

But Jill is not too old to learn these things. Learn from your puppy class instructor for the puppy, and then practice at home with Jill.

Customer:

I will do that, thank you

Rebecca :

That is why I wondered why you wanted to teach her to bark. I get more questions about how to get dogs not to bark and carry on with strangers at the door!

Rebecca :

You are welcome. Is there anything else I can help with?

Customer:

We work in the basement, with computers and if a delivery came, we were notified whether or not the guy rang the doorbell or if it worked. Now we are making lots of trips to pick up missed shipments

Rebecca :

I see. Then teaching Speak, and then working with a friend coming to the door is how I would do this.

Customer:

No thank you very much; this is excellent. I was worried about this "model" but now I'm impressed. Bravo and thank you

Customer:

And while I'm training, Hush is a good adjunct.

Rebecca :

Yes, I learned that in a lecture once. Don't teach Speak without Hush.

Rebecca :

Glad you like the service.

Rebecca :

Is there anything else I can help with?

Customer:

I'm good now thank.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 29 years of companion animal practice.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the great rating, Debbie.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
And thanks for the bonus! Much appreciated!