Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I live in Belize and have a friend with a dog with congestive

I live in Belize and have a friend with a dog with congestive heart failure We don't have a vet and the dog needs to be euthanized, but there's no one to do it. She is 13 years old, gasping for breath, her gums are purple, her tongue is purple, she can't breathe and seems to be in pain. We were able to reach a vet who said to try 3 mgs of codeine to see if that would cause her to go to sleep and die, but it hasn't, and we can't reach the vet again. Can you help? Please?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

When did you give the medication?

If you put your hand on her ribcage, can you feel her heartbeat...and if so, can you tell me how many beats a minute (you can feel for 15 seconds and then multiply that by 4 to get the beats per minute)?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The codeine was given about 1.5 hours ago.

Can't distinguish between her coughing and her heartbeats.

Daisy was also given B12, pedalyte and Benadryl (2 mg) about 3 hours ago.

Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information Mary. I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, in a situation like this, we can't tell you what a lethal dose would be for the dog. It's actually illegal for us to 'prescribe', or tell people how much medication to give since we don't have an in-person relationship.

What I can do, however, is to point you in the right direction to find the dosing instructions for Codeine. You can find that information here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/codeine/page1.aspx

Of course...ideally, you should continue to try to get ahold of Daisy's vet so that they can give you a definitive dose for the dog...but from your description of the blue look and the coughing, I don't think she'll be lasting much longer. The blue tells us that she's not getting enough oxygen, and if that continues long enough, she will lose consciousness and likely die.

I hope it goes quickly for you all, I'm sure it must be awful to watch her struggle the way she is.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Dear Ms. Lisa:

Thank you very much for your compassion. It's so hard here when this happens because there's no one to turn to. I had a similar situation with my oldest cat last year over Christmas and she suffered for 10 days before I could finally get in touch with a vet to help. So, I feel so awful for Candy - I've been there.

Candy is giving Daisy more codeine - and I hope it helps before too long.

Mary

Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.
Hi Mary.

I completely understand how rough this must be for both you and Candy. I forget how lucky I am that I live in an area that has several emergency vets so that I can always get ahold of someone in an emergency.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a quick passing.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you very much for being "here" on-line. It meant a lot to Candy.

Bless you.

Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.
You're welcome.

Please do me a favor...even after you rate/accept my answer, please feel free to come back if you have any other questions.
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. And, we will. (And I did rate your services, did that show up correctly - I wasn't sure I did that right.)

Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.
Yes ma'am. Looks like it came through on this end.

Thanks!