Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Hi! thanks for your help. My dog is current on vacc and is

Hi! thanks for your help. My dog is current on vacc and is 3. around 32 hrs ago I noticed a softer mucous stool and him taking his time to poop. That night he got me up 3 times to use the rest room. That morning I gave him just a handful of food before I left for work. within the hour he had two accidents, one was explosive and looked darker in color according to my boyfriend. Then nothing all day. I got home and made a little bit of rice for him...like half hand full and he seemed fine. This am I held off on the food and his energy was normal so I went for a short walk with him to see if I could witness his stools. Nothing happened. My BF was home again (he works nights) and snuggled with him all day, un-eventful. Then around 2pm he vomited bile... just a little bit. It did not seem as though he drank much water today according to my BF and the amount of water in his dish. I gave him some rice tonight about 1 cup with some chicken broth on top, he vomited it up within 2 minutes of eating. To the best of our knowledge no diarrhea and ?? bowl movements since his episode in the house. The other dogs next door had brought home a fresh deer vertebra that I saw him go for. He has strong jaws and does like to eat things.... energy seems fine, appetite ok, stomach not distended, not tight on palpation...should I panic? we live in the mnts where an emergency visit is hard to come by...
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Walter is having some trouble. Without seeing him and doing some simple tests it would be impossible to say for sure what is going on.

If he ate some of the deer carcass this can cause some digestive upset including vomiting and or diarrhea as well as possible bacterial infections if the carcass was decomposing.

If the is prone to eating things he should not or ingested some of the bone then a intestinal obstruction is possible as well. I am somewhat concerned about this considering not only the diarrhea but the fact that he has stopped going and vomited so soon after eating the rice.

I would suggest having him seen by a vet for x rays just to be sure there is not an obstruction or this could lead to infection, loss of the area of intestine the object is stuck and even death.
If he is acting otherwise normal I do not think you have to rush to the emergency vet tonight. What I would do is withhold all food again for 12 hours. You can try Pepcid AC at a dose of 0.25 mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours to prevent acid build up and vomiting bile. After the fast offer a bland diet of boiled chicken or hamburger and rice in very small amounts.

If he has any additional vomiting after eating, seems painful in the abdomen or does not produce stool or the diarrhea returns I would get him in right away.

I hope this helps and he does ok. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Candy,

Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate your giving me options.... If I could just swing him in to the vet I would love to but as you can see there is no real obvious sign as to if I should panic or not and throw him the car to a vet I know is open an 1 1/2 away. Usually when he vomits from a piece of toy etc. it is a long drawn out process of heaving. This was literally like it went down and much to his surprise it came right back up. I just gave him 1/2 cup of H2O and 1/2 cup Chicken Broth mixed together and that seems to be staying down just fine and he is more than thrilled. He really wants to eat but is sad that he can't keep anything down. Should I withhold that too, he is not over excited about drinking, but the broth seems to make him happy to lap it up..... grrr I wish I was around all day to keep a closer eye on him... his energy is down just a smidge....literally so I am hopeful that he is just fighting off something viral or bad bacteria. Can you just let me know if I shouldn't keep trying to give him liquids tonight.... I am unsure of how hydrated he is keeping himself... his skin when pinched snaps right back however. Thanks so much!!

I am so sorry for the delay for some reason I was not notified of your reply.

The small amount of water you gave is fine but I would not offer anymore tonight and lets give his stomach a rest. Sometimes with foreign objects the will not come back up and in stead will either be lodged in the stomach if to large to pass out or it moves to far down into the intestinal tract to be expelled.

Please keep me posted on how he is doing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thank you Candy we really appreciate your support and time. I will let you know how he is doing... good night and thank you thank you for your kind and educated support! you are the best girl friend!!

patty

You are very welcome. Please give Walter a good pet from me and tell him I hope he feels better soon.
Hi Patty,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Walter. How is everything going?

Candy