Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

my chi Wawa is pregnant. she is a very small teacup chiwawa

my chi Wawa is pregnant. she is a very small teacup chiwawa maybe at 1 month pregnant weighs 5 pounds. my friends say she might die giving birth to the pups and needs a C-section. is this true?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a Vet Tech for 30+ years. I would love to assist you. The fact is anytime we have a dog that is pregnant it is wise to have a Regular Vet check her out.

They will do an X ray and then a sonogram. This serves several purposes. It will help you to know about the growth of the pups, how many puppies Chelsea will have and the big question if the Vet feels that she will be able to carry them full term and if they feel she will need a C section. Many times with a small breed like a Teacup Chihuahua, they do need a C section to deliver the puppies as well as to protect the female from complications. Having a Vet on call when her time is nearing is very wise and highly recommended. To answer your question, it is very possible a C section will be needed depending on the size and amount of puppies. Please let me know if you need further clarification or have further questions. Joan

Hi Maryann,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chelsea. How is everything going?