Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

Is Zoflora Disinfectant hyacinth safe to use around dogs? My

Is Zoflora Disinfectant hyacinth safe to use around dogs? My mother used it earlier and I assumed it was ok, but there is a very strong smell and was concerned in case these fumes could be bad for him. It was used in the utility room sink and he sleeps in this room. He hasn't ingested any.

Dr. J. :

Hi, yes it is safe but if there is a strong odor then you would not leave him in the utility room until it dries. Basically, the same treatment you would give a child. Once dry, then it is fine. Does that make sense?

Customer:

In what way is the odor bad?

Dr. J. :

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions. So if you mop the floor with it, kit must dry first. If you disinfect sink, it must dry, then ok to be in room.Any harsh smell would affect dog just like person. What you are probably smelling is the benzalkonium chloride which is active ingredient.

Dr. J. :

Benzalkonium chloride is common disinfectant in many products. But in concentrated form would smell more. Does that make sense?

Customer:

Is it bad for him though?

Dr. J. :

Only is he has to breathe it before it dries. If the room is strong smelling then he should not be left in it. One exposure will not likely hurt him.

Customer:

What I mean by that is, what is the worst it can do?

Dr. J. :

The worst it could do is cause lung irritation over time which could lead to lung infections or chronic bronchitis. Perhaps chronic exposure over time could potentially lead to something more serious. We just do not know all the potentials for all compounds so we offer advice to avoid chronic exposure such as someone using chlorox and smeliing it over time has been linked to cancer. There are no exact answers of what it can do with chronic exposure. Does that make sense?

Dr. J. :

Even safe compounds are not 100 % safe with chronic over exposure.

Dr. J. :

Does that answer your question?

Dr. J. :

If you air out the room well , you should not have any problems. yes, I know about their website...but again if the fumes bother you or any person they will also bother him. I would recommend that you air out the room. Overall, benzalkonium chloride is considered very safe but if fumes bother you, they will bother him. I am trying to give you a very precise answer in order to protect his lungs.

Customer:

I understand :)

Dr. J. :

I don't mean to be too precise, I just don't want anything at all to happen to him. So, I would not hesitate to use it , just make sure room is sufficiently aired out.

Dr. J. :

Do you have any other concerns or questions about this compound. It is widely used. Even put in disinfectant for scratches and bug bites on people.

Customer:

When you say chronic exposure in this context, would overnight be suffice to cause irritation?

Dr. J. :

Very unlikley......

Dr. J. :

That would be like me having one overnight exposure to it. I would probably wake up with minor lung irritation but that is about it. Does that make sense?

Customer:

yes, thanks

Dr. J. :

I am talking about over and over again exposure. As long as you air room out from now on you should be fine.

Dr. J. :

Please let me know if you have any other concerns or questions. I want you to feel totally satisfied and comfortable with my answers...

Customer:

i think im ok now. do you mean night by night?

Dr. J. :

I mean night after night. Don't use it everyday in that sink........only when you have to.....

Thanks for the great rating. I really appreciate it.Please don't hesitate to contact me in the future should you need help with your little buddy. Best, DrJ