Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Hi I have a 15 week old yellow lab male and his stools have

Hi I have a 15 week old yellow lab male and his stools have been not hard but more whippy type and some of his stools have had blood in them I took him to my mother in-laws and she said that it wasn't right and his poo should be hard also he shouldnt be bleeding from his bum she told me to boil some eggs and boiled potatoe and some boiled rice also some boiled veg to try and harden his poo it did harden but once I put him back on his normal food it has gone mushy with blood in his poo
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 9 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Rolo is having some trouble. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

When he had parasites before did the vet give a dewormer and if so was it repeated a second time 3-4 weeks later?

You mention this is the second food he has been on can you tell me how long he has been eating this food?

Has he had 3 sets of vaccines?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

he had milbemax wormer 25th august then he still had worms and they gave us advacote in Sep then he still had his pop belly and he had another milbemax which he did pass some worms, he has had his first 2nd and booster jabs his new food he has been eating his food for about 3 weeks now I had changed it as he went off his old food

Expert:  Candy replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

One of the most common reasons for loose stool with blood in puppies is parasites. . Not just worms but also microscopic protozoa such as coccidia and giardia Click here
If he actually passed worms with the last treatment then he should be re treated again. The reason I say this is because deworming only kills adult worms leaving the immature ones to develop. Also if this is due to coccidia or giardia the deworming will not help.
Overgrowth of bacteria can also cause this problem.
I would suggest asking your vet to take a stool sample and send it out to the lab. Lab testing is much more accurate and will test for worms, protozoa and bacteria.

Food changes can also cause this problem, however it is normally self limiting lasting only a few days until they adjust. Some dogs can have sensitivities to certain proteins such as chicken, beef, lamb or things like corn so that is also possible.

Because he has not had all of his jabs we also have to consider the parvo virus but with this they normally have vomiting and loss of appetite as well so that is not to high on my list of concerns.

I would start with having the stool tested. If that is clear then I would try changing the protein source in the food.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Expert:  Candy replied 9 months ago.
Hi Charlotte,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rolo. How is everything going?

Candy