Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I have a rat terrier and her hair is raising up intermittently

I have a rat terrier and her hair is raising up intermittently on her back on one side but she does not have bumps, the hair being raised is bumpy looking. I thought it might be from fear but my daughter said that she has noticed it randomly. When I pet her she is not irritated and I feel nothing. After about 5 minutes it goes away...what is this craziness? lol Thank you

Dr. J. :

Hi, I will try and help you. This is Dr J....

Customer:

Hello =) This is Mandy

Dr. J. :

This sounds normal to me. If you do not feel or see anything at all this might just be where his hair tends to stand up. Dogs can do it because they are excited or fearful. But I do not believe this is anything you need to worry about at all. If you ever see any rash associated with it or skin problems then I would have that checked out. But since it goes back to normal, there should be nothing to worry about! HI, Mandy, hope you are well today!

Customer:

Oh thank you..I am glad to hear that it is nothing...it just looks very strange

Dr. J. :

There is a very small possibility that it could be associated with nerve pain...but this is very doubtful.....Can I answer any other questions for you today or help you in any way?

Customer:

How would I know if it is due to nerve pain?

Dr. J. :

Impossible to know for sure.....even a vet would not know for sure, but if you pet her in that area and she does not show any movement away or mind you petting her, then the likelihood of nerve pain is nearly 0.

Customer:

ok fantastic..have a great day full of love and laughter and thank you very much =)

Dr. J. :

You are very welcome. If you ever need any other help, just ask for DrJ. Have a great one.

Please let me know if you need any further help with Mr. Zippy (great name BTW). Sincerely, DRJ